APBA disk

    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 27, 2003
      With another disk in the books, it's time to look ahead.

      We have an announcement that APBA is porting the game over to windows.
      That is a good thing. From what I heard so far, there is not going to be
      huge changes in the rating system. That is also a good thing. However,
      with APBA looking to get the game back in the market, they will
      obviously be looking for revenue from season disks. We need to give some
      thought as to how to proceed, if at all.

      I was starting to get burned out on doing the disk project. This year,
      with moving, really made it tough. Am I willing to do it again? I have
      been borderline on that issue. However, as the season winds down, I
      usually get a little excited about the prospect. But, next year will be
      different. Here are the issues at hand:
      1) APBA will want to sell its own disk. If we do a project and nobody
      buys APBA's disk, the game may not survive past next year, or even
      simple bugs in a new windows version may not get fixed to due lack of
      $$$. Then we'd be left right where we are now.
      2) lack of NHL stats. The NHL stats have been harder to get (thank
      Derrick for working out this year's issues) and they have dropped some
      key stats (most notably blocks). This makes doing the ratings even
      harder, and if we can't get their stats off the server next year, we'd
      be in bad shape to do a disk.
      3) changing of the file format. In going to Windows, the data file
      formats are going to change. This means that all the utilities that Jeff
      and I have written to work the disk files during the project would be
      worthless. I don't know if I (or Jeff) wants to totally rewrite our
      utility sets. Plus, we'd have to hack the file formats all over again,
      as I doubt APBA would just give them to us.

      One of the goals I do have is to develop a system for making the
      objective player ratings from the stat set. I have not done too well on
      this in the past, and would like to try a bit harder after some notes
      this summer suggested that other on this list have some good ideas that
      seem to work. It would be great to get rid of the long review process
      and have the ratings generated from hard numbers. Then, this disk can be
      easily tweaked to bring in players that didn't come out quite perfect.
      Since the rating system should stay the same, these efforts would have
      usefulness if the APBA made disk is not up to par.

      Any thoughts on any of the above thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
      Any algorithm approaches that any of you are hoarding out there to build
      player ratings are also very appreciated.

      Dave
    • Jerry Howell
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 4

        The AHL is a 30 team league in our 12th season.  We recently lost one of our owners, and the Pittburgh franchise is now available.  Anyone interested, please contact myself or Brad Utterstrom.

        The league website is here:

        http://ahlhockeyleague.tripod.com/

        Any questions, just ask...

        Jerry.

        From: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 06:09:50 -0700

        I don't use stat dump, but I can look at the files and see what's different. My guess is that there is a 0 versus char(20) issue somewhere that is messing things up.

        On 10/6/2014 4:54 PM, Ghislain Henri ghislainhenri@... [hockeydisk] wrote:

        Hi,

        Anybody has issue with the Stadump.exe?

        With the new disk, for some reason, it does not generates the stats in htm.

        Thanks

        Ghislain

        To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
        From: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 09:22:44 -0700

        [Attachment(s) from D. Atkinson included below]

        Here is a schedule file for those that want it.

        On 10/5/2014 4:54 AM, 'Jerry Howell' jeromerhowell@... [hockeydisk] wrote:

        Thanks for all that helped get the disk out!  Your hard work is much appreciated.  I didn't see a schedule included, did I miss something?

        Jerry/AHL