Am I missing something?

  • Bruce Carriker
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
      I was recently offered Frantisek Kaberle for Keith
      Primeau? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kaberle is
      undersized, plays for a lousy team, and gets lots of
      ice time BECAUSE they're a lousy team. He's like Tim
      Sweeney...if Atlanta ever gets good, it'll be because
      guys like Kaberle don't play there anymore, but right
      now SOMEONE has to play there.

      Primeau, even at 20 goals, still adds something to a
      team. He plays twenty minutes a game, he's a rock,
      he's a physical/intimidation 4 or 5. He'll be at
      least a defense 3, sometimes a 4. He's a FO-3 or -4.

      Am I missing something somewhere? Has this
      league/game passed me by? Am I just overly attached
      to my players, thus over-valuing them? Every year it
      gets tougher and tougher to trade. Is that just me,
      or is it the league?

      We've been at this ten years now, you know. We
      created a good league. We put a lot of thought into
      the rules, and we haven't had to change much. We've
      had six different champions, and I think we'll get a
      new one this year, won't we? We did it right. But,
      do you ever think that maybe it's time to do something
      else for the next ten years?

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Frankie Wong
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
        Buddy, send it to the appropriate email(s), would ya??? =)

[...]

        Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer
        at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/scUolB/TM
      • lvnwrth
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
          Sorry, guys. That post was intended for ONE PERSON who belongs to
          the same fantasy league I'm in.
        • lvnwrth
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
            Sea orcas? And you have the audacity to address me as "Buddy"?

            If you'd waited thirty seconds, you'd have seen the next post. Guess
            you've nothing better to do with your life than hang around on the
            net, watching the Group boards, waiting for folks to screw up.
          • Gene
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 4, 2003
              It's because Frantisek's brother is better than Keith's brother.... And that makes it fair. That could be it!

              Cheers!
              Gene.

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
                Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
                project......
                you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
                issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
                through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
                listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
                is what the output should look like:

                player
                LW
                RW
                LD
                RD
                Deadmarsh
                8
                4
                13
                0
                0

                The number in the box is the number of weeks that the player was listed
                in that position.

                This process is VITAL to the disk project. We have another position
                source, but this one is the most complete and accurate. We compare the 2
                position sources and make determinations, with last year's positions
                used to break dilemmas.

                I think it would be best if this could be split between 3 or 4 people.
                Luc Labelle has done it all himself in the past, and he deserves a medal
                for doing it. If I have to stop and do it myself, it could delay the
                disk by a couple months, as it will prevent me from working the other
                parts of the project.

                If you have Hockey News back issues (you don't thriow them away) and are
                willing to work a couple months of issues, let me know. I'll try to
                coordinate a team to get this done.

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
                  D. Atkinson wrote:

                  >Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
                  >project......
                  >you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
                  >issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
                  >through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
                  >listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
                  >is what the output should look like:
                  >
                  >player
                  > LW
                  > RW
                  > LD
                  > RD
                  >Deadmarsh
                  > 8
                  > 4
                  > 13
                  > 0
                  > 0

                  Sorry, it doesn't look like the little table I build came out correctly.
                  It should be more horizontal:

                  player LW C RW LD RD
                  Deadmarsh 8 4 13 0 0
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
                    D. Atkinson wrote:

                    >D. Atkinson wrote:
                    >

                    >>Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
                    >>project......
                    >>you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
                    >>issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
                    >>through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
                    >>listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
                    >>is what the output should look like:
                    >>
                    >>player
                    >> LW
                    >> RW
                    >> LD
                    >> RD
                    >>Deadmarsh
                    >> 8
                    >> 4
                    >> 13
                    >> 0
                    >> 0
                    >>

                    >Sorry, it doesn't look like the little table I build came out correctly.
                    >It should be more horizontal:
                    >
                    > player LW C RW LD RD
                    >Deadmarsh 8 4 13 0 0

                    It STILL doesn't look right, but if you do it in Excel, the columns will
                    line up automatically
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                      We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
                      from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
                      handle the 2nd half of the season, with
                      Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
                      and
                      Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
                      It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
                      I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
                      need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
                      issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
                      vital to the disk project.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                        I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
                        still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.

                        Herb

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                          I have the Hockey News annual preseason scouting report magazine, also the
                          Slam sports forecaster (which I find superior), and another which I can't
                          remember. I'm not even sure I understand what it is that you need done, but
                          I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

                          Joe Sutherland.

                          >From: Herb Garbutt <herbgarbutt@...>
                          >To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] positions
                          >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:24:42 -0500
                          >
                          >I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
                          >still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.
                          >
                          >Herb
                          >
                          >"D. Atkinson" wrote:
                          >
                          > > We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
                          > > from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
                          > > handle the 2nd half of the season, with
                          > > Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
                          > > and
                          > > Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
                          > > It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
                          > > I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
                          > > need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
                          > > issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
                          > > vital to the disk project.
                          > >
                          > > Dave
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                            You need each issue of The Hockey News. They run each team's depth chart/line combinations each week. What's needed is someone to log how many weeks each player is listed at each position.

                            Herb

                                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                              I see. Sorry, can't help you there.

                              Joe.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                Hey guys,
                                Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                                out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                                they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.

                                Herb
                              • Derrick Underwood
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                  Hey guys

                                  A couple of years ago, one guy Q-A'd my stats file to make sure the data
                                  looked ok (he did q-a for his job and had a good methodology that caught all
                                  the funny data. If you are still out there, can you let me know? My stats
                                  app had to be totally re-written, and I don't have time to do the Q-A stuff
                                  that is required to call it finished.

                                  Derrick

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                    Herb Garbutt wrote:

                                    >Hey guys,
                                    >Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                                    >out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                                    >they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.
                                    >
                                    >Herb

                                    I think we've got it covered. Gene Parent, Chris Wier, and Jimmy
                                    (archangel) have stepped up to do the task. These guys deserve a round
                                    of applause.

                                    Dave
                                  • Dave Atkinson
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
                                      I haven't found LD/RD breakouts on ANY of the online stats sites.
                                      That's why we continue to use The Hockey News information.
                                      If anyone knows of a stats site with reliable LD/RD breakouts, let me know.

                                      E. Knauber wrote:
                                      How about Hockey-Reference.com
                                      I would be willing to help.
                                    • Peter Dallara
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012

                                        Dave, I have the Hockey News online. I can do the position ratings but I have some questions.

                                        1.      The Hockey News is published every 2 weeks. With what issues do I start and end?

                                        2.      If a player is rated as a C for all but one issue and a LW for one issue, does he get a C LW rating or a C only rating?

                                        3.      What about injured players? Their positions seem to vary while they are injured. Does a players position count while they are injured?

                                        Please let me know if you would like me to do certain teams or attempt to do the whole league which will be a massive job.

                                        Pete Dallara

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
                                        Here is what i'm doing since i'm doing my own disk for 3 leagues with big help from various persons but here is how i compiling with hockey news...
                                        here is my board....

                                        in my disk we use Power Play position (in red) so some forward can play defense but with 1 on defencive rating !

                                        But here is my work not finish yet but going great i take every hockey news issues and when a player is marked at this position he get 1 if it's 2 times then he get a 2....the players as to play a minimum of 5 times at this position to get this position on my disk.

                                        Thanks

                                        Sylvain Dallaire
                                        www.lhat-naha.net
                                        Phoenix Coyotes & Commish (NAHA)