Re: [hockeydisk] positions

  • Sean Berends
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 14 7:14 PM
      Did Nieminen really play defense last season or is
      that a typo?

      Thanks,
      Sean

      === message truncated ===

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 14 7:55 PM
        Hold tight on the position list right now....it should be good, but an error
        has been identified. Ville Niemenen is listed as a defenseman. Let me check
        into it.
      • Eymond Toupin
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 15 8:13 AM
          Yes a big thanks to Luc.

          BTW, Luc would probably not enjoy the wobbly pop but
          he if you get a chance, maybe send him a tin of butter
          cookies. (That's a bit of an inside joke)

          Eymond Toupin - GM Los Angeles Thunder, NAHA

          --- "D. Atkinson" <bigdog@...> wrote: > Ok, I've
          attached the official positions list for
          > this season. As always, a
          > player is rated at all positions listed, with
          > listings in lower case meaning
          > that the player will be downgraded when playing that
          > position.
          > Acknowledgements for the positions: first and
          > foremost to Luc Labelle for his
          > work in compiling the positions from THN over the
          > whole year. This is a long,
          > difficult and boring task, and Luc essentially had
          > it done before I could ask
          > him to do it. Everyone needs to buy Luc a Labatts or
          > two if they see him.
          > Second, I'd like to thank Bob Peck for posting team
          > lines to the internet. Bob
          > is not in this group, but I'd like you all to know
          > what he does for the
          > internet community gave us a second source for our
          > data (after THN). Finally,
          > thanks to Jeff Kraus for distilling down the rough
          > position data I sent him,
          > and getting it into the disk format. He has to spend
          > alot time comparing the
          > results from both sources on all players, and making
          > decisions when the
          > sources don't match (like consulting new sources and
          > checking last year's
          > data).
          >
          > Dave

        • Bruce Carriker
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 15 2:31 PM
            Greg deVries is now the latest in the long line of "I
            don't care if they suck, they pay well" Rangers.

            I'm sure after years of signing the Lefebvres,
            Quintals, Rucinskys, Kasparaitis's, etc, that THIS GUY
            is going to make all the difference.

            Well, at least he's out of the Western Conference.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Bruce Carriker
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
              I was recently offered Frantisek Kaberle for Keith
              Primeau? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kaberle is
              undersized, plays for a lousy team, and gets lots of
              ice time BECAUSE they're a lousy team. He's like Tim
              Sweeney...if Atlanta ever gets good, it'll be because
              guys like Kaberle don't play there anymore, but right
              now SOMEONE has to play there.

              Primeau, even at 20 goals, still adds something to a
              team. He plays twenty minutes a game, he's a rock,
              he's a physical/intimidation 4 or 5. He'll be at
              least a defense 3, sometimes a 4. He's a FO-3 or -4.

              Am I missing something somewhere? Has this
              league/game passed me by? Am I just overly attached
              to my players, thus over-valuing them? Every year it
              gets tougher and tougher to trade. Is that just me,
              or is it the league?

              We've been at this ten years now, you know. We
              created a good league. We put a lot of thought into
              the rules, and we haven't had to change much. We've
              had six different champions, and I think we'll get a
              new one this year, won't we? We did it right. But,
              do you ever think that maybe it's time to do something
              else for the next ten years?

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Frankie Wong
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
                Buddy, send it to the appropriate email(s), would ya??? =)

[...]

                Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer
                at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/scUolB/TM
              • lvnwrth
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
                  Sorry, guys. That post was intended for ONE PERSON who belongs to
                  the same fantasy league I'm in.
                • lvnwrth
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2, 2003
                    Sea orcas? And you have the audacity to address me as "Buddy"?

                    If you'd waited thirty seconds, you'd have seen the next post. Guess
                    you've nothing better to do with your life than hang around on the
                    net, watching the Group boards, waiting for folks to screw up.
                  • Gene
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 4, 2003
                      It's because Frantisek's brother is better than Keith's brother.... And that makes it fair. That could be it!

                      Cheers!
                      Gene.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
                        Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
                        project......
                        you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
                        issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
                        through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
                        listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
                        is what the output should look like:

                        player
                        LW
                        RW
                        LD
                        RD
                        Deadmarsh
                        8
                        4
                        13
                        0
                        0

                        The number in the box is the number of weeks that the player was listed
                        in that position.

                        This process is VITAL to the disk project. We have another position
                        source, but this one is the most complete and accurate. We compare the 2
                        position sources and make determinations, with last year's positions
                        used to break dilemmas.

                        I think it would be best if this could be split between 3 or 4 people.
                        Luc Labelle has done it all himself in the past, and he deserves a medal
                        for doing it. If I have to stop and do it myself, it could delay the
                        disk by a couple months, as it will prevent me from working the other
                        parts of the project.

                        If you have Hockey News back issues (you don't thriow them away) and are
                        willing to work a couple months of issues, let me know. I'll try to
                        coordinate a team to get this done.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
                          D. Atkinson wrote:

                          >Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
                          >project......
                          >you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
                          >issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
                          >through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
                          >listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
                          >is what the output should look like:
                          >
                          >player
                          > LW
                          > RW
                          > LD
                          > RD
                          >Deadmarsh
                          > 8
                          > 4
                          > 13
                          > 0
                          > 0

                          Sorry, it doesn't look like the little table I build came out correctly.
                          It should be more horizontal:

                          player LW C RW LD RD
                          Deadmarsh 8 4 13 0 0
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
                            D. Atkinson wrote:

                            >D. Atkinson wrote:
                            >

                            >>Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
                            >>project......
                            >>you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
                            >>issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
                            >>through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
                            >>listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
                            >>is what the output should look like:
                            >>
                            >>player
                            >> LW
                            >> RW
                            >> LD
                            >> RD
                            >>Deadmarsh
                            >> 8
                            >> 4
                            >> 13
                            >> 0
                            >> 0
                            >>

                            >Sorry, it doesn't look like the little table I build came out correctly.
                            >It should be more horizontal:
                            >
                            > player LW C RW LD RD
                            >Deadmarsh 8 4 13 0 0

                            It STILL doesn't look right, but if you do it in Excel, the columns will
                            line up automatically
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                              We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
                              from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
                              handle the 2nd half of the season, with
                              Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
                              and
                              Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
                              It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
                              I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
                              need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
                              issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
                              vital to the disk project.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                                I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
                                still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.

                                Herb

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                                  I have the Hockey News annual preseason scouting report magazine, also the
                                  Slam sports forecaster (which I find superior), and another which I can't
                                  remember. I'm not even sure I understand what it is that you need done, but
                                  I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

                                  Joe Sutherland.

                                  >From: Herb Garbutt <herbgarbutt@...>
                                  >To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] positions
                                  >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:24:42 -0500
                                  >
                                  >I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
                                  >still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.
                                  >
                                  >Herb
                                  >
                                  >"D. Atkinson" wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
                                  > > from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
                                  > > handle the 2nd half of the season, with
                                  > > Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
                                  > > and
                                  > > Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
                                  > > It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
                                  > > I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
                                  > > need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
                                  > > issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
                                  > > vital to the disk project.
                                  > >
                                  > > Dave
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                                    You need each issue of The Hockey News. They run each team's depth chart/line combinations each week. What's needed is someone to log how many weeks each player is listed at each position.

                                    Herb

                                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                                      I see. Sorry, can't help you there.

                                      Joe.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                        Hey guys,
                                        Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                                        out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                                        they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.

                                        Herb
                                      • Derrick Underwood
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                          Hey guys

                                          A couple of years ago, one guy Q-A'd my stats file to make sure the data
                                          looked ok (he did q-a for his job and had a good methodology that caught all
                                          the funny data. If you are still out there, can you let me know? My stats
                                          app had to be totally re-written, and I don't have time to do the Q-A stuff
                                          that is required to call it finished.

                                          Derrick

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                            Herb Garbutt wrote:

                                            >Hey guys,
                                            >Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                                            >out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                                            >they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.
                                            >
                                            >Herb

                                            I think we've got it covered. Gene Parent, Chris Wier, and Jimmy
                                            (archangel) have stepped up to do the task. These guys deserve a round
                                            of applause.

                                            Dave
                                          • Dave Atkinson
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
                                              I haven't found LD/RD breakouts on ANY of the online stats sites.
                                              That's why we continue to use The Hockey News information.
                                              If anyone knows of a stats site with reliable LD/RD breakouts, let me know.

                                              E. Knauber wrote:
                                              How about Hockey-Reference.com
                                              I would be willing to help.
                                            • Peter Dallara
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012

                                                Dave, I have the Hockey News online. I can do the position ratings but I have some questions.

                                                1.      The Hockey News is published every 2 weeks. With what issues do I start and end?

                                                2.      If a player is rated as a C for all but one issue and a LW for one issue, does he get a C LW rating or a C only rating?

                                                3.      What about injured players? Their positions seem to vary while they are injured. Does a players position count while they are injured?

                                                Please let me know if you would like me to do certain teams or attempt to do the whole league which will be a massive job.

                                                Pete Dallara

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
                                                Here is what i'm doing since i'm doing my own disk for 3 leagues with big help from various persons but here is how i compiling with hockey news...
                                                here is my board....

                                                in my disk we use Power Play position (in red) so some forward can play defense but with 1 on defencive rating !

                                                But here is my work not finish yet but going great i take every hockey news issues and when a player is marked at this position he get 1 if it's 2 times then he get a 2....the players as to play a minimum of 5 times at this position to get this position on my disk.

                                                Thanks

                                                Sylvain Dallaire
                                                www.lhat-naha.net
                                                Phoenix Coyotes & Commish (NAHA)