Re: good thing

  • Brad Utterstrom <butters@st1.wou.edu>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2003
      I actually have an idea that would spread out the bias for hitting
      and, overall, all teams would be rated more or less the same.

      Here's my idea: Each team has a statistician that will work all
      games. This means he'd have to travel with the team. Each team's
      statistician for hitting is only responsible for calculating the hits
      for the OTHER team.

      This way, since you've got a guy who will give out way too many hits
      and a guy who'll be way too stingy, rather than them doing the stats
      for so many games for one team (which really screws up the statistic)
      his personal bias will be more or less spread throughout the league
      evenly. End result is that all players should get a fair shake. It's
      not a perfect plan, but it's a heck of a lot better than what they're
      doing now.-Brad

    • Derrick Underwood
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
        I just read a transcript of Bettman's state of the game address, and he
        revealed that we won't be seeing those extra stats after all...

        <<In other issues, Bettman revealed the NHL has no plans to return
        statistics like hits and blocked shots to official box scores. An
        independent arbitrator last month sided with the NHLPA and ordered the
        league to restore the statistics.

        While the NHL will furnish them to the union, the statistics will not be
        made available to the public.

        "We have no confidence in those statistics," Bettman said. "That's why we
        stopped using them to begin with. We don't believe they accurately reflect
        performance.">>

        Derrick