Re: [hockeydisk] this year's disk

  • photosbyalex
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 27, 2003
      I would love to volunteer my help....

      In addition to the Hockey News I have access to three main sources I can check for positions.
      1. Team Websites and NHLPA.com
      ---These sites list the primary position for a player and sometimes alternates.
      2. The Toronto Sun
      ---I read the Toronto Sun daily. The day the Leafs play someone on the sports team writes an article and they produce a
      "probable line combinations".
      3. Box Scores
      ---I could also go through box scores and make lists of players that assisted on a goal. That should help generate line
      combinations and potentials for line combinations. If someone assisted on a goal... they should be able to play on the same
      line.

      Please contact me if the disk staff would like my assistance.

      Alex

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
        I'm going to need some help doing a few tasks with this year's disk.
        Herb and the others have the review committees rolling, so that part is
        covered. The season ends Sunday, so the stats will be final by Monday,
        and I'll be working those into disk format. The main task that I need
        help with is extracting the positions from the Hockey News listings. I
        have all the position listings in pdf files from the Hockey News site,
        21 files worth. One can either hand extract them, or open them in
        Acrobat and cut/paste the various lines. I have started that process,
        and have already extracted Anaheim by the cut/paste method into an excel
        spreadsheet. If anyone has some free time to help with this task, let me
        know and I will send you the pdf files and give you a list of teams to
        extract. I can do the processing, so I just need a cut/paste from each
        file directly into excel. I can send Anaheim as an example...keeping
        them all in the same format will help me with processing. So, drop me an
        email if you have time to help with this task.

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 19, 2008
          I plan on releasing the disk next Sunday, October 26, if there are no
          glitches in finishing the final polishing items. Thanks for your patience.

        • Dave Atkinson
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 19, 2010
            Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

          • Bill Corfield
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 2, 2010
              Dave-

               Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones.

               How are things looking?

              Bill Corfield

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 6, 2015
                  Ok, the testing and tweaking phase has just ended. The convergence
                  metrics have been met, and actually are better than any of the past
                  disks (just beat last year's). Simmed just over 2 million games to get
                  it where it is.
                  I need to migrate the split disk used for testing (where all multi-team
                  players are split out onto their actual teams) into a combined disk
                  (where multi-team players have one total entry). That takes me a couple
                  days. Then, I need the team to error check it. Then release. I hope to
                  release the disk next weekend, or shortly thereafter (depends on how
                  many errors and the type of errors....major errors might require some
                  retesting). I'll give you all a firm date once I get closer.
                  Thanks all for the patience!
                • David Gowdey

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 16, 2015
                      Ok, I'm going to let the error checking team have another couple days,
                      and then we'll close up shop. Unless some big issue is found, the disk
                      will be released this weekend.
                    • lee_snowden@rocketmail.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                        Today, Dave??
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015

                          Still error checking. More likely tomorrow night at the earliest.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                            Let's say....this weekend. Maybe late tonight, if everything I still want to look at gets done.
                            Definitely before Sunday night.

                            On 9/19/2015 9:05 AM, lee_snowden@... [hockeydisk] wrote:

                            Today, Dave??

                          • lee_snowden@rocketmail.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                              Thanks gents!
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                                Happy to see that there has been no uproar over problems with the disk.
                                That means we must have caught all the errors....whew. The first week
                                after release is always a worry. So, with the disk in the books and
                                everybody's leagues off and running, I'd like to take a few moments to
                                thank those involved.

                                First of all, Peter Dallara deserves a big hand for saving the disk this
                                year. We went into the past season without having a good source of
                                position information, so the entire disk project was in jeopardy.
                                However, Peter not only found a good source, but compiled what was
                                needed throughout the NHL season to ensure that we had the position
                                information that we needed for the disk. He did an amazing job keeping
                                on top of it and compiling things. I had a great summary at disk
                                creation time that just fell in perfectly. Thanks, Peter!!!!

                                Ken Danila again did a great job with getting the review website updated
                                and ready to go for another season. In no time flat after I was able to
                                get the stats, he was ready to go. The voting site ran flawlessly again,
                                and this kickstarted another great disk year. Thanks, Ken!!

                                Herb Garbutt was ready with the stat and scout rating sets to help with
                                the testing and tweaking. We usually need to adjust about 7 or 8 % of
                                the ratings to get the disk performance right, and Herb is truly the
                                guiding force behind it. I don't make an adjustment without Herb's
                                input. And he always has a full justification behind each one, which
                                gives me confidence that we're always headed to a better disk. Thanks,
                                Herb!!!

                                Herb, Ken, Peter....I owe you all a beer if I get to your towns this
                                year!!!!

                                Finally, last but not least, I'd like to recognize those that put time
                                and energy into the voting ratings. I don't know all the names....the
                                site logs email addresses only, but I won't post them here and cause
                                them all to get spammed. Let's just say that I've looked through the
                                list of raters, and I'm thrilled with the effort that all of you have
                                put forth. The quality of this year's disk certainly starts with your
                                efforts. Thanks to all.

                                Thanks to everyone on here for the patience. It was good disk year, and
                                I feel this is the best one yet. Adding the goalie rebound ratings from
                                the play by play just adds another layer of realism to the disk quality.
                                I hope everyone enjoys this year's disk.
                                I look forward to doing even better next year.

                                Dave
                              • Matt Young
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                                  Dave.

                                  Thanks to you and your team for all the work. Another great disk and another year of apba hockey can be enjoyed by many.

                                  I know I look forward to next years disk and can't wait to start using the review site again.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Matt Young

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                                    On behalf of the CCHL, a big THANK YOU to everyone on the team!!!

                                    Bill Corfield