Re: [hockeydisk] this year's disk

  • photosbyalex
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
      I would love to volunteer my help....

      In addition to the Hockey News I have access to three main sources I can check for positions.
      1. Team Websites and NHLPA.com
      ---These sites list the primary position for a player and sometimes alternates.
      2. The Toronto Sun
      ---I read the Toronto Sun daily. The day the Leafs play someone on the sports team writes an article and they produce a
      "probable line combinations".
      3. Box Scores
      ---I could also go through box scores and make lists of players that assisted on a goal. That should help generate line
      combinations and potentials for line combinations. If someone assisted on a goal... they should be able to play on the same
      line.

      Please contact me if the disk staff would like my assistance.

      Alex

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 7:58 PM
        I'm going to need some help doing a few tasks with this year's disk.
        Herb and the others have the review committees rolling, so that part is
        covered. The season ends Sunday, so the stats will be final by Monday,
        and I'll be working those into disk format. The main task that I need
        help with is extracting the positions from the Hockey News listings. I
        have all the position listings in pdf files from the Hockey News site,
        21 files worth. One can either hand extract them, or open them in
        Acrobat and cut/paste the various lines. I have started that process,
        and have already extracted Anaheim by the cut/paste method into an excel
        spreadsheet. If anyone has some free time to help with this task, let me
        know and I will send you the pdf files and give you a list of teams to
        extract. I can do the processing, so I just need a cut/paste from each
        file directly into excel. I can send Anaheim as an example...keeping
        them all in the same format will help me with processing. So, drop me an
        email if you have time to help with this task.

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 19, 2008
          I plan on releasing the disk next Sunday, October 26, if there are no
          glitches in finishing the final polishing items. Thanks for your patience.

        • Dave Atkinson
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 19, 2010
            Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

          • Bill Corfield
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2010
              Dave-

               Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones.

               How are things looking?

              Bill Corfield