hockey stuff

  • paul canosa
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 19, 2003
      Just to add my 2 yen to the discussion. I think the
      NHL went a bit too PC this offseason with the
      unfortunate death of that little girl in columbus and
      the head injuries. So the netting went up, and the
      removal of such things as hits was proscribed by a
      league office and officer I personally don't like.

      Although I am sure that the league office will now be
      "re-watching" the old games to count secondary stats,
      I do know that each team was keeping track of such
      things as they went along. So perhaps a database
      comparison is in order once they compile the initial
      crunch to see if there is any discrepancy. Then again
      this league office is run by Bettman.

      MLB uses Elias Stats... that decision was made before
      Selig. go figure.... Then again this is the same
      guy who lets the all star game end in a tie, then
      proposes the same games results decide home field
      advantage. Perhaps Bettman is Selig's clone eh ?

      I only have 2 additional points to make. The first is
      that my hope was to make this email so obviously
      sarcastic there would be no confusion possible. :) The
      second is to once again thank the disk review team for
      their labors !

      take it easy everyone and (GO RAIDERS !)
      paul canosa

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Bruce Carriker
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
        Dave,

        I'll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I've
        seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
        that I can accurately rate the Blues. So put me down
        for those two things.

        Bruce

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
          Bruce Carriker wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > I'll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I've
          > seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
          > that I can accurately rate the Blues. So put me down
          > for those two things.

          Great! That helps....actually I was counting on you doing them
          again.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
            Hey Dave,
            Scouting report is going very well and I should be able to get it to everyone a lot quicker this year. Hockey annuals are done, 1/3 of the way through the Fantasy Sports Services website and all of Oct, Nov and Dec Hockey News finished.

            One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.

            Hopefully getting the scouting report out earlier will help with ratings. Our league is going to be aiming for 1,800 ratings this year, the bulk of them coming from myself and another guy in our league who are going to take a run at as many teams as possible.

            I sent out a call earlier to get an idea of what people were going to be willing to rate and got responses from 12 people for 47 teams. I think it might be worth doing again as we get closer to identify any gaps or teams that we should concentrate on.

            Herb

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
              Herb Garbutt wrote:

              > One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want
              > to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.

              One thing I will need from people in the group again this year (Luc Labelle, Herb, and
              Brett did it last year, if I remember correctly) is a Hockey News position listing. I will
              again personally parse out Peck's lineups as one source, but we will want the Hockey
              News lists again. Anyone care to get an early start one these? If I have these in by
              the season's end, I can get positions out in a few days.

              Dave
            • photosbyalex
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
                I would love to volunteer my help....

                In addition to the Hockey News I have access to three main sources I can check for positions.
                1. Team Websites and NHLPA.com
                ---These sites list the primary position for a player and sometimes alternates.
                2. The Toronto Sun
                ---I read the Toronto Sun daily. The day the Leafs play someone on the sports team writes an article and they produce a
                "probable line combinations".
                3. Box Scores
                ---I could also go through box scores and make lists of players that assisted on a goal. That should help generate line
                combinations and potentials for line combinations. If someone assisted on a goal... they should be able to play on the same
                line.

                Please contact me if the disk staff would like my assistance.

                Alex

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                  I'm going to need some help doing a few tasks with this year's disk.
                  Herb and the others have the review committees rolling, so that part is
                  covered. The season ends Sunday, so the stats will be final by Monday,
                  and I'll be working those into disk format. The main task that I need
                  help with is extracting the positions from the Hockey News listings. I
                  have all the position listings in pdf files from the Hockey News site,
                  21 files worth. One can either hand extract them, or open them in
                  Acrobat and cut/paste the various lines. I have started that process,
                  and have already extracted Anaheim by the cut/paste method into an excel
                  spreadsheet. If anyone has some free time to help with this task, let me
                  know and I will send you the pdf files and give you a list of teams to
                  extract. I can do the processing, so I just need a cut/paste from each
                  file directly into excel. I can send Anaheim as an example...keeping
                  them all in the same format will help me with processing. So, drop me an
                  email if you have time to help with this task.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 19, 2008
                    I plan on releasing the disk next Sunday, October 26, if there are no
                    glitches in finishing the final polishing items. Thanks for your patience.

                  • Dave Atkinson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 19, 2010
                      Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

                    • Bill Corfield
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2010
                        Dave-

                         Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones.

                         How are things looking?

                        Bill Corfield