Re: [hockeydisk] A Couple Of Questions About the Game

  • Sylvain Dallaire
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002

      How can we remove a goaltenders during a game in APBA ?

        Jeff Kraus <othl@...> écrit :

      The line numbers correspond to the line-up screen in the game:  you can define up to 5 forward & defensive lines.  Line 6 is reserved for the line currently on the ice, so you won't see that.  7 & 8 are the power play units, 9 & 10 are penalty killers.

      Forecheckers ranges from 1 to 4, but there's a bug in the game that makes the display screwy.  When your line is defined to play in physical mode, it displays as "P" with the number of forecheckers -- if you have two forecheckers in physical mode, it'll show forecheckers as P2.  But when you get out of physical mode and go back to normal mode, it doesn't clear the 2nd digit.  So if you switch from "P2" to 3 forecheckers in normal mode, it'll show as "32" instead of "3".  In short, just look at the first digit.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
        I beleive the only way for a goaltender to be replaced in an ABPA sim is if
        your starting goalie gets injured, then it automatically subs in the backup,
        and if he gets hurt, it goes to your next goalie (if u carry more than 2) and
        so on.

        -James Caldwell
        GM, Huntsville Blast, CSHA
        2001-2002 Southern Division Champions
        and Regular Season Eastern Conference Champion
      • David Gowdey
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
          Thanks Jeff- I'm glad it wasn't because I'd made an
          error in my ratings for the oldtimers. D

          --- Jeff Kraus <othl@...> wrote:
          > The line numbers correspond to the line-up screen in
          > the game: you can define up to 5 forward &
          > defensive lines. Line 6 is reserved for the line
          > currently on the ice, so you won't see that. 7 & 8
          > are the power play units, 9 & 10 are penalty
          > killers.
          >
          > Forecheckers ranges from 1 to 4, but there's a bug
          > in the game that makes the display screwy. When
          > your line is defined to play in physical mode, it
          > displays as "P" with the number of forecheckers --
          > if you have two forecheckers in physical mode, it'll
          > show forecheckers as P2. But when you get out of
          > physical mode and go back to normal mode, it doesn't
          > clear the 2nd digit. So if you switch from "P2" to
          > 3 forecheckers in normal mode, it'll show as "32"
          > instead of "3". In short, just look at the first
          > digit.
          >
          > Jeff

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Jeff Kraus
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
            You can pull the goalie from the in-game roster screen by positioning the cursor you want to put on as the extra attacker, and on the column for "Line 6" (the current line on the ice), and giving the player the position "S" - for extra skater.  That automatically removes the goalie.  To put him back in select him and give him the position "G".

            You can pull the goalie while the puck is in play by pressing "H" to pull the home goalie, or "V" to pull the visiting goalie (I think that's right).  In order to do that I think you have to pre-define who would be put on as your extra attacker.  You do that on the roster screen by putting the cursor on the player(s) you want to use as extra attacker and type an asterisk.  You should do this at the start of the game, or at any time but some time before you want to pull the goalie.  The instructions suggest selecting two or three players for extra attacker in case the first choice is tired or already on the ice.

            As for goalies, you can only dress two goalies (prevents you from having a true all-star game).  And the computer coach never pulls your goalie no matter how poorly he plays unless he gets hurt.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002

              Thanks for the answer Jeff

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002
                > I beleive the only way for a goaltender to be replaced in an ABPA sim is if
                > your starting goalie gets injured, then it automatically subs in the backup,
                > and if he gets hurt, it goes to your next goalie (if u carry more than 2) and
                > so on.

                If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I played the game) you change the goalie on the line screen (I'm assuming that the original questioner wanted to know how to switch goalies). You go into all the lines and put the G next to the second goalie, and he becomes the active goalie.

                Alan
              • Frank Marier
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002
                  If your back-up goalie gets hurt, then a player off the defense becomes your
                  third goalie. The software will only allow the use of 2 goalies per game, no
                  matter how many you might have on your roster.

                  Frank
                  > > I beleive the only way for a goaltender to be replaced in an ABPA sim is
                  if
                  > > your starting goalie gets injured, then it automatically subs in the
                  backup,
                  > > and if he gets hurt, it goes to your next goalie (if u carry more than
                  2) and
                  > > so on.
                  >
                  > If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I played the game) you
                  change the goalie on the line screen (I'm assuming that the original
                  questioner wanted to know how to switch goalies). You go into all the lines
                  and put the G next to the second goalie, and he becomes the active goalie.

                  > Alan

                • Jeff Kraus
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002
                    You have to do it from roster screen either during the game or immediately before the start of the game.  I think you put the cursor on the player you want to use as a shadow, press "S" and then it'll prompt you for the player you want him to shadow.  I think that's it.  You'll have to play around with it if that's not exactly right.  But it's opponent-specific so it's not something you can predefine and you can't use it with the autoscheduler.

                    I've got one question about shadowing.. How is it done?

                    Frank.