Re: [hockeydisk] Re: ideas for next disk

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30 7:33 PM
      I'm with Jeff on this. I'm not adverse to changing the rating system, but we need
      to know the effects. Goons have troubles in the game engine (way too many minors)
      and it would be nice to see if the ratings can be tweaked to fix this issue, but not
      at the expense of more important items.

                 Dave

      Jeff Kraus wrote:

       Well, let's start with this then.  Why not take the generic teams and run four sets of tests:
      1)  Both teams have "Rate" set to a "reasonable" number -- one common to a guy who gets a decent number of penalty minutes -- and all other penalty ratings set to "goon-like" ratings. 2)  Same as above for "Rate", but all other penalty ratings set to 0. 3)  Both teams have "Rate" set to 0, and all other penalty ratings set to "goon-like" ratings. 4)  Both teams have all penalty ratings set to 0. And let us know what you find out.  That should at least give us a definitive answer on whether Rate affects only minor penalties or if it is a general rating affecting all penalties.  I agree that it's worthwhile to get it as close as possible despite the limitations of the engine, but unless we can determine exactly what Rate means we'll just be guessing at possible formulas.