Disk Concers

  • Greg Andrade
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
      I was just wondering if there is any news on the data disk. The last message someone sent about
      this went without a response and seemed to disappear from the mailing list altogether.

      I've had several people contact me with concers about the disk, especially since the OTHL site
      which normally hosts the data disk is dead right now.

      Hopefully someone can respond with information.

      Regards,
      Greg

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Brett Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
        > I was just wondering if there is any news on the data disk. The
        last message
        > someone sent about this went without a response and seemed to
        disappear from the
        > mailing list altogether.
        >
        > I've had several people contact me with concers about the disk,
        especially since
        > the OTHL site which normally hosts the data disk is dead right
        now.

        > Hopefully someone can respond with information.

        I'm sure they're just tired of answering the same question all the
        time.
        Brett Hall | brett@...

        St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
        St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
        St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
        Tuktoyaktuk Nanuk (RMHL)
        Rosemont Revolution (GUMP)

        We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.
        -Tool
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
          Greg Andrade wrote:

          > I was just wondering if there is any news on the data disk. The last message someone sent about
          > this went without a response and seemed to disappear from the mailing list altogether.

          The data disk is about done. I'm on the 24th set of test seasons and tweaking, and everything is
          just about in perfectly. The Isles always win too many games, and Adam Oates always takes
          too many shots, but other than that things are looking good.

          By the way, the last message someone sent out on this got answered. I just did it privately. So,
          it didn't go without a response as stated.

          > I've had several people contact me with concers about the disk, especially since the OTHL site
          > which normally hosts the data disk is dead right now.

          That's really nice that posted a "several people contacted me with concerns" email again this year.
          By now, those "people" should really learn that they'd get their concerns answered if they
          emailed Jeff or I. You're obviously not helping them too much. Jeff will have the download
          site up and ready when the disk is finished.

          I'm pretty happy with the disk this year again. It is as good as last year's...but I am learning
          that
          the variability of the APBA engine makes it impossible to get everyone perfect. Some players
          will be 15% low on shots on one test set and then be 10% high on the next. I set my mark
          to be within 10% on things, and we came really close, except for the players with <20 games
          who vary even more. This disk is a perfect representation of the NHL given the contraints of
          the APBA engine.

          Just so everyone knows, I ran 24 test sets of 8 seasons per set. I adjusted ratings and
          hiddens based on the results, and reran to check my tweaks. Some players required multiple
          tweaks, others fell in quickly. This process eventually gets out any ratings anomalies and
          leaves a accurate representation of the past NHL season. Again, it was more work than
          I remember, but it was worth it if the users find the final product to their liking.

          I'll get Jeff my final data set in the next 24 hours. He will adjust the ratings for the league disk

          (like melding multiple team players with a games played weighted rating set), as I
          always test on the split disk for accuracy's sake.

          Dave
        • mark wendling
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
            A 192 seasons....I have a hard enough time running one....

            If it takes longer Dave and Jeff, that is just fine. People have to realize
            that not every player will perform exactly 100% to the NHL in their leagues
            because the lines are not 100% of the same. Even in a perfect simmed year,
            as there are trades, injuries etc.

            The 10% high and low range, sounds more than acceptable, especially if it
            sometimes it is high and sometimes it is low.

            Much appreciation is given from our league again.