UPDATING THE GAME

  • bkd61@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      Since starting this topic, I feel I have opened up a can of worms. I
      can tell the current simulation is fine with most of you. To me a
      newcomer to it and the sport of hockey, it is not.

      Why I posted is because of the limited DOS capabilities that WINDOWS
      has in it after every release. Now after reading up on it, DOS will
      not be in the next WINDOWS release. Does anyone care about this?

      DOS Games are dying left and right whether we want to admit it or
      not. Those game companies that still produce DOS sports games know it
      and are scrambling to convert there sims to WINDOWS interfaces. Not
      one of them want to lose a $. That ought to tell you something about
      the life expectancy of DOS.

      Now you have three choices in my opinion.

      1. Keep using the game as is and everyone keep WINDOWS ME or 98
      or 95 so they can still utilize the game with no future for
      ever catching up with the FHL Simulator.

      2. Research and find out about who has the rights and the costs of
      upgrading the game. Its obvious noone has so we dont really know
      what the costs will be.

      3. Say goodby to APBA Hockey forever and switch to the competitor be
      it FHL or some other sim.

      All the nice add utilities that have been mentioned in the posts
      would be nice. But to me that is window dressing and takes away from
      the obvious potential this game could have if it was upgraded.

      We all need to wake up and see that this sim will die a horrible
      death if we as gamers dont do something about it. Contact the
      original programmer, get his thoughts on this, buy the code from him,
      Talk to APBA and see if anything legal could happen if the game was
      changed by other programmers.

      Again I am a rookie to the sim and the sport of hockey. I just want
      the best possible sim to run a hockey league and right now APBA
      Hockey is not it.

      Its just like buying a new car. You find the options you like the
      most for the best price possible.

      Now thats my two cents on all of this.

      BKD
    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
        --- In hockeydisk@y..., bkd61@j... wrote:
        > Why I posted is because of the limited DOS capabilities that
        > WINDOWS
        > has in it after every release. Now after reading up on it, DOS will
        > not be in the next WINDOWS release. Does anyone care about this?

        There are enough legacy DOS apps out there that someone, somewhere,
        will write a DOS emulator to run under Windows XP.

        > DOS Games are dying left and right whether we want to admit it or
        > not. Those game companies that still produce DOS sports games know
        > it and are scrambling to convert there sims to WINDOWS interfaces.
        > Not one of them want to lose a $. That ought to tell you something
        > about the life expectancy of DOS.

        The problem here is, the APBA Game Company, which last I heard is
        still hanging on by its fingernails financially, is no longer
        producing or even distributing the game. (A quick visit to their
        web site reveals that the only computer game they list is Baseball.)
        So we can pretty much count on APBA doing nothing about it.

        > Now you have three choices in my opinion.
        >
        > 1. Keep using the game as is and everyone keep WINDOWS ME or 98
        > or 95 so they can still utilize the game with no future for
        > ever catching up with the FHL Simulator.

        "Catching up with"? The game works fine as is. Yes, a Windows
        interface would be nice, but is it necessary? (Other than the
        fact that DOS is on its way out, that is.)

        > 2. Research and find out about who has the rights and the costs of
        > upgrading the game. Its obvious noone has so we dont really know
        > what the costs will be.

        A few people have brought up the fact that the costs would be
        prohibitive, and based those costs on what programmers get paid.
        Let's take a different perspective on it... what about programmers
        who produce shareware games? Would it be possible to write a shell
        or something that converts APBA Hockey into a Windows game?

        > 3. Say goodby to APBA Hockey forever and switch to the competitor
        > be it FHL or some other sim.

        I've looked at some of the other sims. I don't like them much.
        APBA is elegant in its simplicity.

        > All the nice add utilities that have been mentioned in the posts
        > would be nice. But to me that is window dressing and takes away
        > from the obvious potential this game could have if it was upgraded.

        Perhaps. But who has the $$$ to get it upgraded in the first place?

        > We all need to wake up and see that this sim will die a horrible
        > death if we as gamers dont do something about it.

        As long as we keep using it, and as long as there is an annual
        Disk Project to keep producing player disks, it will live on.
        But I see where you're coming from... an upgrade to keep it
        "current" would be better than the status quo. I'm just not sure
        if that's even possible, though.

        > Contact the original programmer, get his thoughts on this, buy the
        > code from him, Talk to APBA and see if anything legal could happen
        > if the game was changed by other programmers.

        Basically, someone would have to buy the rights to the game software
        itself, if I understand correctly.

        > Again I am a rookie to the sim and the sport of hockey. I just want
        > the best possible sim to run a hockey league and right now APBA
        > Hockey is not it.

        Just out of curiosity, which sim *is* the best possible sim, in
        your opinion? :)

        Glenn
        Founder, NWHL
      • Jeff Kraus
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
          > Contact the original programmer, get his thoughts on this, buy the
          > code from him, Talk to APBA and see if anything legal could happen
          > if the game was changed by other programmers.

          Heh - you want to know what I know about the original programmer?  I know this from very reliable sources.

          1) He knew nothing about hockey.  He was a hired gun who banged out some code based on the designer's specs.  Once he knocked out the code, he was gone.

          2) He doesn't own the code.  APBA does.  If APBA decides to sell it, the designer (Jim Connell) has first rights I believe.

          3) APBA, for reasons beyond my comprehension, has no interest in selling the rights.  I've asked 2 or 3 times, though not since early in 2000.

          4) The code is completely undocumented, there is no paper or electronic documentation anywhere, and the code was not written very cohesively.

          I have to laugh when I keep hearing stuff like, "What can we do about this?"  At the risk of making a broad generalization, what we *could have* done about it about 5 years ago was made sure everyone in our leagues and everyone who played the game actually *bought* the blasted thing and the annual season disks, as opposed to just pirating them.  So don't even get me started on shareware or grass roots efforts - the money isn't there even if the interest is.  My apologies to all the honest folks who took offense to being lumped in with the cheats -- there just weren't enough of us, I guess.