Goals against

  • Jeff Kraus
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2001
      At long last, I have outlasted the tedium of reading each box score from NHL.Com to collect data on who was on ice for each goal scored against his team.  I imported my spreadsheet into an Access table and resolved all of the data entry errors (misspellings, wrong team, etc.).

      Next I have to match that table up with the official NHL stats so I can create reports based on goals against / minutes played.  I guess the interesting thing to do would be to compute it as sort of a skater's GAA -- goals against * 60 / minutes played.  I'll do that for even strength, power play, shorthanded, and overall.  Penalty shots are discarded and I'll most likely discard empty net goals.

      One caveat before I start making this information available:  my numbers are only as good as the box scores on NHL.Com / NHL Plus.  They don't go back and revise those box scores once they're posted, so if there was a scoring change I won't know about it.  There is also the Pittsburgh/Nashville Japan series, though I was able to figure out who was on ice for the even strength goals from the first game and a little bit of the second game.  There are also a few instances where the box score says "Not yet determined" or something like that for one of the goals.  Guess they had to be reviewed or something and they never updated the box score.  So I'll more than likely be off by a few goals here and there, but that's not too bad.

      In a few days I should have a spreadsheet with all of this information and make it available to the review team.  Should help in assigning DEF and PK ratings, though like everything else you have to put the numbers in context (like, does his team have a lousy goalie?  Is he the only respectable 2-way forward on a line with Jagr & Lemieux? <g>  Is he a cherry-picker whose linemates are Selke candidates?).

    • Jeff Kraus
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2001
        Now then, the first piece of information I'll throw out there.  Without adjusting for ice time or PPG against or ENG against or anything else -- just taking into account the raw total number of goals --

        WHO WAS ON ICE FOR MORE GOALS AGAINST (FAR more goals) THAN ANY OTHER PLAYER IN THE NHL THIS SEASON?

        I guessed right, but even I was stunned by how many more goals he was on ice for than the next guy in line.  The "leader" was on ice for 158 goals against.  The guy in 2nd was on ice for "only" 125.  The guy in 3rd was on for 108.  After that it's a much smoother decline.  I tried to guess the top three and they finished #1, #3 and #7, respectively, so obviously I've been spending way too much time with those box scores.  :-)  (I was close with my #3 pick - his linemate finished #2.)  But the guys I picked for 4th & 5th were both down in the 50s.  Hard to keep track of the injury factor. <g>

        Happy guessing!  I'm betting you guys come up with 2 of the top 3 within a couple of tries.

        I plan to start working on the skaters' GAA tomorrow night.

      • Andrew Martin
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2001
          OK, I'm going to guess:

          #1 Pavel Bure
          #2 Brian leetch
          #3 Vincent Lecavalier

          Andrew

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2001
            On 3 May 2001, at 7:45, Andrew Martin wrote:

            > OK, I'm going to guess:
            >
            > #1 Pavel Bure
            > #2 Brian leetch
            > #3 Vincent Lecavalier

            I'm with Andrew on the first two, but I bet #3 is a Penguin, or
            possibly Sandis Ozolinsh. ;-)
            Brett Hall

            St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
            St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
            St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
            Tuktoyaktuk Nanuk (RMHL)
            Grand Cayman Conch (GUMP)
          • Jud Burkett
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2001
              [hockeydisk] Re: Goals against
              Here's my guess...

              1. Patrice Brisebois
              2. Valeri Bure
              3. Cory Sarich

              At 1:38 AM -0400 5/3/01, Jeff Kraus wrote:
[...]

              Jeff
              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Jud and Jill Burkett
              701 East 900 South #18
              St. George, Utah 84790
              (435)652-0719
              burkett@...
              http://www.judburkett.com
            • Thomas Lindh
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                [hockeydisk] Re: Goals against
                My guess...

                1. Brisebois
                2. Messier
                3. Ozolinsh

                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                  I'll go with Leetch, Hamrlik, Chara.

                  Jeff Dunlop

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                    my guess...

                    1. Amonte
                    2. Czerkawski
                    3. Lecavalier

                    Derrick

                    On 3 May 2001, at 7:45, Andrew Martin wrote:

                    > OK, I'm going to guess:
                    >
                    > #1 Pavel Bure
                    > #2 Brian leetch
                    > #3 Vincent Lecavalier

                    I'm with Andrew on the first two, but I bet #3 is a Penguin, or
                    possibly Sandis Ozolinsh. ;-)
                    Brett Hall

                    St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
                    St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
                    St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
                    Tuktoyaktuk Nanuk (RMHL)
                    Grand Cayman Conch (GUMP)

                  • mrdcool
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                      Here's my guess.....

                      1) Brian Leetch
                      2) Jaromir Jagr
                      3) Pavel Bure

                      Matt
                    • Jeff Kraus
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                        So far, the first guesser was the closest!

                        Leetch= #1
                        Hamrlik= #7
                        Chara= #2
                        Here's a hint:  the top 10 are all defensemen.  Leetch & Hamrlik were also my guesses for 1 & 2.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                          Bure = #11 (led all forwards in goals against)
                          Leetch = #1
                          Lecavalier = #116 (missed 14 games)

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                            Brisebois = #4
                            Bure = #11
                            Sarich = #38

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                              Amonte = #12
                              Czerkawski = #64
                              Lecavalier = #116
                              Amonte being up that high really surprised me.  I thought he would have seen a lot of checking lines.  But then again he wasn't really worth checking by mid-season, was he?

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                                Brisebois = #4
                                Messier = #14
                                Ozolinsh = #49

                                Ozolinsh looked like he was leading the league by plenty about mid-way through November, when they wisely changed the way he was being used.  I remember a stretch of about 3 games early in the season when he was on ice for EVERY goal against the Hurricanes, something like 10 straight goals.

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                                  Leetch = #1
                                  Jagr = #23
                                  Bure = #11

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 3, 2001
                                    Bure also led all forwards in minutes played.  An unheard of 27 minutes a game!  Of course, if you're only playing half of the ice, I guess you can do that. :oþ

                                    Sean