What gives?!?!?!

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
      Ok, what the heck is going on? Just after I post a note that the Hockey News
      had ice time splits for traded players (after checking my March 30 issue), I
      looked
      at the April 6 issue, and all the splits are gone!!!! You have to love how the
      league
      makes sure that it's fans are statistically informed. At least we will still
      have the
      ice time splits from the previous teams of traded players from the March 30
      hockey news.
      I can't wait to see what Derrick can download once the season is over. I'm at
      the
      point where I'm wondering if we can buy a good stats package with everything
      in it.

      Dave
    • Brett Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
        The split stats are back in the April 13th issue. Seems like they only
        publish what they want to from week to week. I imagine the stats team had
        their hands full in the April 6th issue publishing all the minor league stats,
        which I loved.

        Brett Hall

        St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
        St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
        St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
        Tuktoyaktuk Nanuk (RMHL)
        Grand Cayman Conch (GUMP)
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
          Brett Hall wrote:

          > The split stats are back in the April 13th issue. Seems like they only
          > publish what they want to from week to week. I imagine the stats team had
          > their hands full in the April 6th issue publishing all the minor league stats,
          > which I loved.

          Whew! I thought they were messing with us :)
          Anyone know why the Hockey News dropped the faceoff
          stats from their weekly package?

          Dave
        • NNHL
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
            I don't know. I liked that and the hits leaders. I would have kept them if they'd
            given me the job as their stats editor two years ago when I applied. :(

            Herb Garbutt
            NNHL Commissioner

            D. Atkinson wrote:

            > Brett Hall wrote:
            >
            > > The split stats are back in the April 13th issue. Seems like they only
            > > publish what they want to from week to week. I imagine the stats team had
            > > their hands full in the April 6th issue publishing all the minor league stats,
            > > which I loved.
            > >

            > Whew! I thought they were messing with us :)
            > Anyone know why the Hockey News dropped the faceoff
            > stats from their weekly package?
            >
            > Dave

          • Derrick Underwood
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2001
              NHL.com was very fast in updating their NHL Stats. It appears they have
              posted their stats including the final games yesterday. I ran my utility
              this morning, and generated the excel spreadsheet at
              www.gchl.net/NHLStats.zip. Does anyone know at what point this becomes
              "official". I think they make them official when they post them on the
              NHL.com site, but am not sure. If some stats can be changed, I will have to
              rerun the utility.

              I don't have a ton of time to look at the validity of the stats, but here is
              what I saw in my 30 second overview

              Good news:
              - the total for time on ice are accurate for traded players - for all
              categories - es, pp, sh.
              - Adding in the ave minutes for the players that played in the Japan games
              will be easy - The boxscores can be found on espn at
              http://espn.go.com/nhl/2001/20001006/boxscore/naspit.html and
              http://espn.go.com/nhl/2001/20001007/boxscore/pitnas.html.

              Bad news (although not too bad):
              - all the calculated fields (ave toi, shoot %, Gaa, etc.) in the stats
              should be recalculated - ie. someone should put in formulas into those
              fields instead of using the NHL output. Their calculator was apparently
              broken and gave some inaccurate calculations.
              - NHL.com's goaltender stats are off line right now. I will give it a try
              late this afternoon and will forward a spreadsheet when it is up. I don't
              think they collect any info outside of what other stats sources collect, so
              this probably isn't a big deal.

              Derrick
            • othl@msn.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2001
                > Does anyone know at what point this becomes
                > "official". I think they make them official when they post them on the
                > NHL.com site, but am not sure. If some stats can be changed, I will have to
                > rerun the utility.

                I don't think there's any "official" cut-off date, I think they change them as they become aware of necessary changes.  The chance of a scoring change being made more than a day later is very remote.  I'd say wait a few days and then run the utility again just to be safe.  Every year there are minor differences between the "final" stats on NHL.com, ESPN.com and NHLPA.com, probably because of late scoring changes, possibly because the NHL is a second-rate league.

                > Bad news (although not too bad):
                > - all the calculated fields (ave toi, shoot %, Gaa, etc.) in the stats
                > should be recalculated

                Yeah, we got burned by that once (year before last?) only it was the other way around.  The online GAA and save percentages *were* correct, but the minutes played and/or shots faced were inaccurate for a number of goalies.  So when we calculated them, *our* GAA & save percentages were inaccurate.  It was like the numbers came from two different databases.