Re: Réf. : [hockeydisk] EXTENDING RATINGS

  • Hank Stalica
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2001
      The game reserves 6's for superstars. From what I understand, the reasoning
      being that a Gretzky would have a 6 in PA, a Bure might have a 6 in SP, or a
      Jagr a 6 in SK. These ratings should be exceptionally rare. Previous disks
      have had 6's, I remember a version that gave Fedorov a 6, for example in SK
      a few years back.

      If this be the case, then assigning 6's and 7's on a common basis would
      probably skew things pretty badly.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2001
        Hey guys

        If someone wants to see how 6's or 7's effect the game, grab Jeff Kraus's (I
        think that is who created them) base league with all standard ratings,
        change one team to all 6's or all 7's, 8's etc. in one of the categories,
        sim a bunch of seasons and see how it comes out. That would probably answer
        any questions anyone has about the effect on the game.

        As for whether we want it or not... I think it will be difficult to use an
        increased grade. I started gaming with the Strat-O-matic board game, which
        had a rating scale of 1-4, so I find the 1-5 more than enough. But, if it
        will allow a little better realism, I can't argue with that. Creating the
        ratings with a 6 or 7 point scale will be more difficult than with a 5
        scale. More options = more diverse opinions = tougher ratings process.

        Unless the game results are substantially more realistic, I would vote for
        sticking with the 5 point scale to avoid the possible headaches.

        And I think Herb was collecting some scouting reports from some sources.
        Way to go. I find those sources fairly accurate, but they may or not be
        more accurate than some of our opinions. It can be an invaluable resource
        in doing the ratings for guys that just play 15 minutes per game, and you
        don't focus on them. I used to use fox sports.com intelligence reports in
        addition to the sources you listed, but can't seem to find them any longer.
        Too tough to keep up every season, I would guess.

        that's my two cents (but it is Canadian, so really, just 1 cent)

        Derrick
      • Sean Berends
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2001
          espn.com has some scouting reports on players...
          mostly veteran players though.

          Sean

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/svPVlB/TM

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/