Re: Réf. : [hockeydisk] EXTENDING RATINGS

  • zachtower@home.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2001
      Without actually playtesting a league which has ratings from 1-7, you
      can't simply say it won't work.

      Just how realistic or unrealistic will it get? Dave says 8's and 9's
      offer nothing extra, but 6 and 7's do work.

      The poll suggests that a majority are interested in it (again only 12
      voted),if it works. Wouldn't it be worth it to try it out? I think it
      might.

      I think it would be interesting to see just how APBA handles it. Call
      me a cat...curiosty kills. I'm always for making APBA more realistic!
      Anything to help keep this great sim alive and in the forefront.

      Commissioner of the ESHL,
      Zach

      --- In hockeydisk@y..., NNHL <nnhl@i...> wrote:
      > I would love a wider range in the ratings but if it affects the
      realism of the
      > results as Dave suggests it might, I'm with Hank for keeping it as
      is.
      > If we want to attempt a change, I'd suggest something more gradual.
      Try a 1-6
      > range first before we go we do anything to radical and throw the
      results out of
      > whack.
      >
      > Just to let everyone know, I'm going through with an idea I brought
      up last
      > year. I'm in the ongoing process of putting together scouting
      reports to assist
      > the ratings team. I've currently got 83 pages of information from
      some pretty
      > good sources, including The Hockey News, THN Yearbook, McKeen's
      Hockey Pool

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • NNHL
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2001
        Just to let everyone know about the scouting report I'm putting together... I by
        no means expect this to be a definitive source for ratings. There have been
        things I've read that I totally disagree with (Curtis Brown only being average
        defensively comes to mind) but I put them in anyway. Both scouting reports and
        stats can be misleading so in the end it does come down to what the individual
        raters think. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
        This is only meant to be another tool just like that stats pack. Where it will
        be more beneficial is, as Derrick said, on third and fourth-line players and
        sixth or seventh defencemen. I've learned a lot about many players by doing
        this. (Hell, I even knew who the guy was who the Sabres gave up for Donald
        Audette. That puts me one up on everyone in the Thrashers' locker room!!!)
        A great on-line source I intend to use (but haven't got to yet) is the Toronto
        Star's site. It's an on-line version of The Sports Forecaster but I've found
        enough different material from the yearbook to make it worth while including.
        The site is http://www.thestar.ca/forecaster/hockey
        The team indexes have profiles and scouting reports of every player.

        I'll keep you updated. Anyone know when the ratings process will begin?? I have
        to know how fast my fingers need to be flying!!

        Herb Garbutt
        NNHL Commissioner