848Re: question for my fellow raters

    Aug 18, 2000
      This was my take on the two players you mentioned Matt:
      Like you, I had Moreau as a three. This was based on comments such as
      "was impressive as the checking line left winger" "is limited
      offensively but plays a smart positional game" "kills penalties well
      and is strong along the boards" from Fan Forecaster and "big strong
      physical left winger" "a gritty, hard-working corner man. He'll
      muscle
      you along the boards" from Ultimate Hockey. He also had a good
      giveaway/takeaway ratio and showed some willingness to take the body
      (158 hits).
      There was not as much info available on St. Louis but what there was
      indicated he was a decent defensive player, he had an average
      give/away takeaway ratio but didn't take the body much. Even if I
      thought as St. Louis as a 3, the fact that he has yet to establish
      himself and only played 56 games with many healthy scratches tells me
      the Flames had better players. This knocked him from a 2.5 or a 3 to
      2 in my books.
      The fact is, if we disagree with a rating, we're in the minority. It
      doesn't mean the rating is right, it just means more people think it
      is right.
      You look like you do your homework, though. That's why I proposed the
      scouting report--just as a means of sharing the comments you and I
      mentioned here with everyone to help them with players they may not
      be
      as familiar with.

      Herb Garbutt
      Commissioner NNHL

      --- In hockeydisk@egroups.com, Matt Dickendesher <mrdcool@g...> wrote:
      > Once again, I would like to commend my fellow raters for a terrific
      job. I
      > do have a question about 2 players that I rated higher than the
      rest
      of
      > you, and I was hoping someone could give me a quick explanation.
      >
      > Martin St. Louis was given a 1 in defense. I believe I rated him at
      3,
      > based primarily on a statement in THN about his strong defensive
      play. I
      > guess I just curious about this one.
      >
      > Ethan Moreau was given a 2 defense. I rated him 3, I think. He was
      on the
      > checking line most of the season and THN stated that he "shuts down
      > others." Once again, I'd just like someone with more insight on
      Moreau to
      > give me a better picture.
      >
      > Thanks alot!!!
      > Matt