      From: D. Atkinson <boomhound@...>
      To: hockeydisk <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Sep 27, 2013 5:11 pm
      Subject: [hockeydisk] update on new disk

      Currently at the very end of the testing period. Got to a conversion
      point that was acceptable, now just cleaning up some loose ends (like
      goalie assists). Hope to migrate to combined disk over the next 4-5
      days, and get the draft disk out to the team for error checking. If all
      goes well. Hope to release final disk by Oct 8, barring any major error
      finds.
      I really wanted to get this year's disk out earlier than in the past,
      and with Ken's great new rating vote system, I had the rating info much
      earlier than past years. However, you can blame Bettman and the lockout,
      as the short season made the testing difficult. The variabilities on the
      numbers are much higher than past seasons, so getting convergence on the
      disk has been a headache. I can't say that I'm thrilled with the disk
      this year, it is reasonable, but not spectacular, mainly because the
      variability numbers on a short season are just too large. Extra testing
      was needed just to ensure that changes weren't random variations of a
      small sample size (read: short season) or real effects. I did the best I
      could, and it's a good disk (but probably not a great disk). Sorry.
      Blame Bettman. We won't have this problem again now for a few years, so
      we'll let it go and move on. I'll you all know how progress is going and
      give you a solid fix on the release date in a few days when I finish the
      migration. Hang tight, we're getting close.
      Thanks!