5006Re: [hockeydisk] Action PC Hockey, best sim out now

  • Jeff
    Feb 17, 2013
      I would agree. APC game leaves a lot to be desired. I dislike the scrolling ice especially when it falls behind the play by play. You see your team visually on ice at the offensive end of the rink and the play by play describes a shot on your goalie at the opposite end. If the game cannot simulate real time movement which I doubt it ever can, it should not have the scrolling. This is also something wasted with APC basketball game which also does not do things in real time. It works for baseball and football because each play starts and ends. Basketball and hockey is continuous and APC does neither one well. Both games attempt to do more stuff when they would be better served to just do what is needed, well. Both games should have the players placed on the icecourt in traditional formation and then the have the rolling text describe the play. Besides, it is impossible to watch the action on the scrolling ice and read the text at the same time. Unless you can train one eye to look at each one LOL

      From: David Gowdey <dgowdey2@...>
      To: "hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com" <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:03 PM
      Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] Action PC Hockey, best sim out now

      Brad- I'm not keen on this game, I like having the crests and colors, I like the ice surface especially and the players on the ice, but I can actually "watch" a game on APBA and it's pretty exciting, whereas the play by play "window" is so miniscule and it runs SO slow when you can actually read it (or it just blinks when running fast) that I never get excited playing it. The play by play is totally generic unless you're willing to write it all yourself, which I'm not going to bother doing. I still haven't run a game changing lines, as it takes WAY too long- whereas I can "play" a game on APBA making changes reasonably fast. Action only runs a game in a reasonable amount of time by running it so fast there's no play by play, so you watch the names going up and down and the shots on goal, but that's it. I like the fact that someone created the 1931-32 season and that's the one I'm playing, and I like seeing the names from the sixties but haven't played a season there yet. For me there's still nothing better than APBA. What would actually be great is if the EA kind of games were statistically accurate (and had vintage seasons) and you could coach the games and then watch what happens. But the EA games are basically crap.