4396RE: [hockeydisk] Committees for 08-09 disk

    Apr 7, 2009
      Message
      Hey guys,
      We've decided to go with a slightly different approach this season but the ratings groups will still be involved.

      Here's what we're doing. I am going to rate the entire league and then send those ratings to the groups for discussion. I know this probably worries some of you, but to (hopefully) ease your concerns, here is why we believe this process will work better.

      1/ Consistency:  Last year we had 30 different groups each using their own criteria. Some groups mandated that there had to be a certain number of 1s, 2s, 3s etc., some gave out very few 2s and 1s, some gave fringe players 2s across the board, other gave them 1s. That is not to say anyone was wrong. They were right using their criteria. But with so many different criteria, there wasn't much consistency from team to team. By having one rater, throughout, we can eliminate these issues and then use the groups to correct/tweak ratings.

      2/ Timing. The committees were actually in place by about February last year. Some started right away, some waited until the end of the season, some didn't start rating until July, some just never happened. I was also encouraging groups to start ratings as far back as February so they could evaluate while games were still being played. Unfortunately, by the end of the playoffs probably 2/3 of the groups had not started ratings.
      We're hoping that worst case, if groups are slow to respond, at least we'll have my baseline to work from and Dave can start testing much, much earlier. I'm hoping end of June, beginning of July, which will lead to us getting the disk much earlier and Dave actually being able to enjoy some of his summer.

      In doing my ratings, I am using last year's ratings as a baseline. If there is no evidence to support a particular rating, or I don't have a strong opinion, I'm using last year's rating. So no, I'm not simply throwing out all of last year's hard work. It worked well in testing so it's a great place to start from. In this regard, the groups will be especially important on rookies.

      I have rated about 350 players so far. I hope to have the league finished by the end of the second round of the playoffs...at which point, we'll send the ratings out to the different groups for their opinions.

      Any concerns or questions, drop me a line.