13[hockeydisk] Re: Faceoff rating

  • Brett Hall
    Jul 5, 1999
      On 5 Jul 99, at 11:09, nickh68@... wrote:

      > I'm on the APBA disk rating review team, but I still have a question
      > considering the faceoff rating. I read something about Francis, but I
      > don't know if you'll be giving him a 5 on faceoffs because he should have
      > it or if he's not getting it because of his faceoff stats in the NHL ? A
      > guy like Francis should of course have a 5 on faceoffs, but he and other
      > great faceoffers might not get the best faceoff rating because their NHL
      > faceoff stats were not "great".

      Judging by his statistics . . . Francis would most likely be given a 4
      'FO' rating. In the past he has certainly been one of the best, and if
      statistics were not readily available for faceoffs, he would probably
      receive a 5 based upon his reputation. However, a 4 would be the
      'correct' rating.

      You may disagree with this, but permit me to ask you, sir, would
      you rather the players be rated on reputation or how they actually
      performed that particular year? There are players that receive
      tremendous ratings year after year, based on reputation alone.

      Chelios and Messier are good examples. Chelios is still a very
      good defensive defenseman, but has he deserved a 5 'D' and 'CL'
      rating the last couple of years? I would say 'no'.

      Mark Messier is more of a perimeter player now, but continues to
      receive high marks in 'PH' and 'IN' due to his reputation.

      It's really no different than a top scorer having an 'off-year' or a
      mediocre player having a 'career-year'. The idea is for the players
      to perform, as close as possible, the way they did that particular
      year.

      > If someone could explain how the faceoff rating is determined, I'd
      > greatly appreciate it.

      > Also, IF you do go by NHL stats for faceoffs alone when giving out the
      > faceoff rating, what is the cutoff for each rating ? (for example, is 55 %
      > and over a 5 ? 51-54 % a 4 ?) And IF you do go by NHL stats for faceoffs,
      > do you also take the amount of faceoffs into consideration ? (I think you
      > are, but I want to make sure)

      Bruce Carriker could give you the exact cutoff points, as I don't
      remember them. However, the amount of faceoffs is taken into
      consideration when determining the faceoff rating. Someone like
      Francis with a 51% FOW% might normally receive a 3 (or maybe a
      2 if he only took 20 faceoffs or some low figure), however since he
      took almost 30% of his team's faceoffs, he would be raised to a 4.

      Hope this helps.

      Brett

      St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
      St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)