Re: [hockey-databank] Proposed (minor) change to Master table

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2008
      On a data design issue, every single field should
      represent one and only one thing. Merging data into
      one field is not a good idea.

      Tom

      --- dsreyn <dreynolds@...> wrote:

      > The Master table currently contains four fields
      > (firstNHL, lastNHL,
      > firstWHA, lastWHA) that give the years a player was
      > active in the NHL
      > and WHA. I'm considering replacing these with one
      > pair of fields to
      > indicate the span of years for which a player has
      > data in the Scoring
      > and Goalies tables. In addition to combining the
      > NHL and WHA years,
      > this would also include the three older leagues
      > (NHA, PCHA, WCHL).
      >
      > I don't see this as a major change, but I thought
      > I'd mention this
      > before going ahead. If this will cause a serious
      > inconvenience for
      > anyone, I could be persuaded to leave it alone.
      >
      > Doug
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > mailto:hockey-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      Tim Raines, Hall of Fame 2008
      http://www.raines30.com/

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • SIRE1499
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2008
        I agree with Tom, it's better to keep every single field separate and
        representing one thing only. I like the idea of separate years for
        the NHL and WHA because for argument sake, it's easier to sort data
        for the players from each of those leagues, let alone those who
        played in both leagues.

        Eric

        --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Tangotiger <tangotiger@...>