Proposed (minor) change to Master table

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2008
      The Master table currently contains four fields (firstNHL, lastNHL,
      firstWHA, lastWHA) that give the years a player was active in the NHL
      and WHA. I'm considering replacing these with one pair of fields to
      indicate the span of years for which a player has data in the Scoring
      and Goalies tables. In addition to combining the NHL and WHA years,
      this would also include the three older leagues (NHA, PCHA, WCHL).

      I don't see this as a major change, but I thought I'd mention this
      before going ahead. If this will cause a serious inconvenience for
      anyone, I could be persuaded to leave it alone.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2008
        On a data design issue, every single field should
        represent one and only one thing. Merging data into
        one field is not a good idea.

        Tom

        --- dsreyn <dreynolds@...> wrote:

        > The Master table currently contains four fields
        > (firstNHL, lastNHL,
        > firstWHA, lastWHA) that give the years a player was
        > active in the NHL
        > and WHA. I'm considering replacing these with one
        > pair of fields to
        > indicate the span of years for which a player has
        > data in the Scoring
        > and Goalies tables. In addition to combining the
        > NHL and WHA years,
        > this would also include the three older leagues
        > (NHA, PCHA, WCHL).
        >
        > I don't see this as a major change, but I thought
        > I'd mention this
        > before going ahead. If this will cause a serious
        > inconvenience for
        > anyone, I could be persuaded to leave it alone.
        >
        > Doug
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > mailto:hockey-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Tim Raines, Hall of Fame 2008
        http://www.raines30.com/

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • SIRE1499
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2008
          I agree with Tom, it's better to keep every single field separate and
          representing one thing only. I like the idea of separate years for
          the NHL and WHA because for argument sake, it's easier to sort data
          for the players from each of those leagues, let alone those who
          played in both leagues.

          Eric

          --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Tangotiger <tangotiger@...>