Re: 1952-53 Boston Bruins shutouts

  • forever1940
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7 8:11 AM
      The NY Times also notes it as his 8th shutout.

      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Stu McMurray
      <stumcmurray@...> wrote:

      > dsreyn wrote:
      >
      > > The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
      > > shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:
      > >
      > > 021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
      > > 036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
      > > 041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
      > > 107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
      > > 135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
      > > 143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
      > > 162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
      > > 184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5
      > >
      > > The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-
      53
      > > game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim
      Henry,
      > > who played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular
      season,
      > > so Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However,
      Henry
      > > is credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.
      > >
      > > Doug
      >

      > In the March 6, 1953 edition The Globe & Mail newspaper from
      Toronto

      _______________

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7 7:36 PM
        Is it possible that Henry was replaced during one of those shutouts, and
        the NHL therefore didn't award it to him? I remember James K theorizing
        that there are a number of replacement goalies that were overlooked in
        the NHL records, at least in the early days (perhaps not into the 50's),
        because the NHL didn't track them and you had to really find the home
        game report to dig them out; most research has been done in Canadian
        newspapers.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8 6:55 AM
          I did check the NY Times for his 9-0 shutout win, and no mention of
          another goaltender is made.

          --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Slate <slater@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12 9:44 AM
            I suppose this is possible, but I guess I'd wonder why the league
            docked him a shutout due to a replacement goalie, yet failed to list
            the replacement goalie in the stats. It seems to me that if Henry is
            going to be credited with playing the entire regular season, he also
            should be credited with all the shutouts.

            Doug