Re: [hockey-databank] Re: 1952-53 Boston Bruins shutouts

  • Gerald
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
      The Marc 6, 1953 edition of the Toronto Star also credits Jim Henry with the shutout. I have a pdf copy of the article if it is needed.

      Gerald

      Stu McMurray <stumcmurray@...> wrote:
      dsreyn wrote:

      > The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
      > shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:
      >
      > 021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
      > 036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
      > 041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
      > 107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
      > 135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
      > 143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
      > 162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
      > 184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5
      >
      > The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-53
      > game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim Henry,
      > who played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular season,
      > so Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However, Henry
      > is credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.
      >
      > Doug

      In the March 6, 1953 edition The Globe & Mail newspaper from Toronto
      reported, in part, "the Bruins assumed an early lead to give goalie Jim
      Henry his eighth shutout of the year."

      Looks like the NHL and TH owe him one.

      Nice find Doug.

      Stu

      Get your own web address.
      http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ domains/? p=BESTDEAL

    • forever1940
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
        The NY Times also notes it as his 8th shutout.

        --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Stu McMurray

        _______________

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
          Is it possible that Henry was replaced during one of those shutouts, and
          the NHL therefore didn't award it to him? I remember James K theorizing
          that there are a number of replacement goalies that were overlooked in
          the NHL records, at least in the early days (perhaps not into the 50's),
          because the NHL didn't track them and you had to really find the home
          game report to dig them out; most research has been done in Canadian
          newspapers.

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2007
            I did check the NY Times for his 9-0 shutout win, and no mention of
            another goaltender is made.

            --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Slate <slater@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2007
              I suppose this is possible, but I guess I'd wonder why the league
              docked him a shutout due to a replacement goalie, yet failed to list
              the replacement goalie in the stats. It seems to me that if Henry is
              going to be credited with playing the entire regular season, he also
              should be credited with all the shutouts.

              Doug