Re: 1952-53 Boston Bruins shutouts

  • Stu McMurray
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
      dsreyn wrote:

      > The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
      > shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:
      >
      > 021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
      > 036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
      > 041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
      > 107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
      > 135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
      > 143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
      > 162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
      > 184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5
      >
      > The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-53
      > game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim Henry,
      > who played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular season,
      > so Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However, Henry
      > is credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.
      >
      > Doug

      In the March 6, 1953 edition The Globe & Mail newspaper from Toronto
      reported, in part, "the Bruins assumed an early lead to give goalie Jim
      Henry his eighth shutout of the year."

      Looks like the NHL and TH owe him one.

      Nice find Doug.

      Stu

      Get your own web address.
    • Gerald
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
        The Marc 6, 1953 edition of the Toronto Star also credits Jim Henry with the shutout. I have a pdf copy of the article if it is needed.

        Gerald

        Stu McMurray <stumcmurray@...> wrote:
        dsreyn wrote:

        > The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
        > shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:
        >
        > 021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
        > 036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
        > 041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
        > 107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
        > 135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
        > 143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
        > 162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
        > 184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5
        >
        > The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-53
        > game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim Henry,
        > who played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular season,
        > so Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However, Henry
        > is credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.
        >
        > Doug

        In the March 6, 1953 edition The Globe & Mail newspaper from Toronto
        reported, in part, "the Bruins assumed an early lead to give goalie Jim
        Henry his eighth shutout of the year."

        Looks like the NHL and TH owe him one.

        Nice find Doug.

        Stu

        Get your own web address.
        http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ domains/? p=BESTDEAL

      • forever1940
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
          The NY Times also notes it as his 8th shutout.

          --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Stu McMurray

          _______________

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
            Is it possible that Henry was replaced during one of those shutouts, and
            the NHL therefore didn't award it to him? I remember James K theorizing
            that there are a number of replacement goalies that were overlooked in
            the NHL records, at least in the early days (perhaps not into the 50's),
            because the NHL didn't track them and you had to really find the home
            game report to dig them out; most research has been done in Canadian
            newspapers.

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2007
              I did check the NY Times for his 9-0 shutout win, and no mention of
              another goaltender is made.

              --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Slate <slater@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2007
                I suppose this is possible, but I guess I'd wonder why the league
                docked him a shutout due to a replacement goalie, yet failed to list
                the replacement goalie in the stats. It seems to me that if Henry is
                going to be credited with playing the entire regular season, he also
                should be credited with all the shutouts.

                Doug