1952-53 Boston Bruins shutouts

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
      The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
      shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:

      021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
      036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
      041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
      107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
      135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
      143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
      162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
      184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5

      The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-53
      game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim Henry, who
      played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular season, so
      Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However, Henry is
      credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.

      Doug
    • Stu McMurray
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
        dsreyn wrote:

        > The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
        > shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:
        >
        > 021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
        > 036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
        > 041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
        > 107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
        > 135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
        > 143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
        > 162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
        > 184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5
        >
        > The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-53
        > game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim Henry,
        > who played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular season,
        > so Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However, Henry
        > is credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.
        >
        > Doug

        In the March 6, 1953 edition The Globe & Mail newspaper from Toronto
        reported, in part, "the Bruins assumed an early lead to give goalie Jim
        Henry his eighth shutout of the year."

        Looks like the NHL and TH owe him one.

        Nice find Doug.

        Stu

        Get your own web address.
      • Gerald
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
          The Marc 6, 1953 edition of the Toronto Star also credits Jim Henry with the shutout. I have a pdf copy of the article if it is needed.

          Gerald

          Stu McMurray <stumcmurray@...> wrote:
          dsreyn wrote:

          > The "NHL results" file from the Hockey Summary Project lists 8
          > shutouts for the Boston Bruins in the 1952-53 season:
          >
          > 021 10/25/52 BOS 4 at TOR 0
          > 036 11/06/52 DET 0 at BOS 2
          > 041 11/11/52 TOR 0 at BOS 4
          > 107 01/03/53 BOS 1 at MTL 0
          > 135 01/24/53 NYR 0 at BOS 9
          > 143 01/31/53 BOS 0 at MTL 0
          > 162 02/15/53 MTL 0 at BOS 1
          > 184 03/05/53 MTL 0 at BOS 5
          >
          > The 2006-07 Bruins media guide also list 8 shutouts in the 1952-53
          > game by game results. The Bruins used only one goalie (Jim Henry,
          > who played all 70 games and 4200 minutes) during the regular season,
          > so Henry's shutout total should match the team total. However, Henry
          > is credited (by Total Hockey and others) with 7 shutouts, not 8.
          >
          > Doug

          In the March 6, 1953 edition The Globe & Mail newspaper from Toronto
          reported, in part, "the Bruins assumed an early lead to give goalie Jim
          Henry his eighth shutout of the year."

          Looks like the NHL and TH owe him one.

          Nice find Doug.

          Stu

          Get your own web address.
          http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ domains/? p=BESTDEAL

        • forever1940
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
            The NY Times also notes it as his 8th shutout.

            --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Stu McMurray

            _______________

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
              Is it possible that Henry was replaced during one of those shutouts, and
              the NHL therefore didn't award it to him? I remember James K theorizing
              that there are a number of replacement goalies that were overlooked in
              the NHL records, at least in the early days (perhaps not into the 50's),
              because the NHL didn't track them and you had to really find the home
              game report to dig them out; most research has been done in Canadian
              newspapers.

              Ralph

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2007
                I did check the NY Times for his 9-0 shutout win, and no mention of
                another goaltender is made.

                --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Slate <slater@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2007
                  I suppose this is possible, but I guess I'd wonder why the league
                  docked him a shutout due to a replacement goalie, yet failed to list
                  the replacement goalie in the stats. It seems to me that if Henry is
                  going to be credited with playing the entire regular season, he also
                  should be credited with all the shutouts.

                  Doug