NHL gamesheets

  • Stu McMurray
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
      James Karkoski wrote:

      > I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
      > scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
      > information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or
      > compile them themselves and release it? I really don't understand
      > this "must be locked away in a file" attitude towards this old
      > information.

      How would you have the NHL release the gamesheets?? I mean, it's not
      going to be a commercial venture that will generate profit, right? So
      what benefit does it serve them to go to the trouble to compile and
      publish their sheets?? Let's face it, there are only a handful of us
      that are really interested in this type of thing. (my wife calls it my
      "affliction" and tells me in mock anger to "get a life" on a regular
      basis <g>)

      Nothing is "locked away". Benny has always been helpful to me when I
      have gone to the Toronto office. He lets me work alone in the records
      room to do my research and I have been allowed to photocopy sheets and
      take them with me. On the way out I stop by his office and we talk shop
      for awhile. My experience with the NHL, specifically in the Toronto
      office, has always been a positive one. Way better than what Ralph has
      reported with his discussions with Frank Polnaszek.

      Stu

      Want to start your own business?
      Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
        --- Stu McMurray <stumcmurray@...> wrote:
        > Nothing is "locked away". Benny has always been
        > helpful to me when I
        > have gone to the Toronto office. He lets me work
        > alone in the records
        > room to do my research and I have been allowed to
        > photocopy sheets and
        > take them with me. On the way out I stop by his
        > office and we talk shop
        > for awhile. My experience with the NHL, specifically
        > in the Toronto
        > office, has always been a positive one. Way better
        > than what Ralph has
        > reported with his discussions with Frank Polnaszek.

        I used to work in the same building as the NHL, when
        they were in Montreal. And for a few years, I would
        ask for the end-of-year full stats (including full
        plus/minus: TGF, PGF, TGA, PGA). Ercolani didn't know
        me from a hole in the wall, but he went out of his way
        to produce it for me, and have it ready for me for
        pickup.

        Allowing Stu to make copies of the scoresheets is more
        than enough. If someone wants to volunteer to digitize
        them, by scanning them, that might be the next step.

        http://www.InsideTheBook.com

        -----------------------------------

      • flyershistory
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
          I just found out about this group and see my name mentioned :)

          I can give results from my Quaker "exercise" using actual NHL game
          sheets. There are a number of discepancies between NHL official game
          sheet compilations and official stats.

          I'm a little under the weather right now, so it will be a few days, but
          it will further show how "off" the early official stats probably are.
          There were 2 or 3 games where the official game sheets for the Quakers
          were missing.

          Any suggestions on how you'd like to see these stats ? In a CSV file ?

          Peter
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
            CSV sounds good to me.

            Thanks,