Re: Project scope / goals / "to do" list

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
      Sounds good Ralph. One question though - what do you have in mind for
      hometown? That is, would this be current residence, or would it be
      where the player grew up (since that is often different from place of
      birth)?

      Doug

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
        dsreyn wrote:

        >> Sounds good Ralph. One question though - what do you have in mind for
        >> hometown? That is, would this be current residence, or would it be
        >> where the player grew up (since that is often different from place of
        >> birth)?

        Hometown is very subjective, but it gives the opportunity to show where
        a player "learned his hockey" -- not where they are currently living.

        I know, for example, that Graeme Townshend was born in Kingston,
        Jamaica. He most certainly did not grow up playing hockey there -- he
        moved to Canada at an early age. I can't recall the city.

        Hometown is usually self-reported by a player. NCAA and Juniors publish
        hometown, not birthplace. It might relate to the town a player's parents
        lived in when he was born (as opposed to where the hospital was located).

        The hometown/birthplace thing is perhaps my greatest source of emails.
        People are always writing, saying "I grew up with so-and-so, he is from
        X, not Y". When I ask them if they are SURE that he was born in X, they
        often come back and say "well, I talked to him, he was actually born in
        Y, but grew up in X".