Re: [hockey-databank] Re: 2/1/07 database release

  • Karkoski James
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
      On 2007.2.3, at 12:28 PM, Stu McMurray wrote:

      > The NHL commissioned and accepts Duff's work as official so who are we
      > to say otherwise?

      Hi Stu, the problem with this is that, as you have noted below, until
      recently the NHL has been more than happy to sanction stats that
      weren't correct for decades, so I don't think that we are in a position
      yet to just simply accept what they offer as "officially correct."

      > There is no detailed methodology published because this was an inhouse
      > project of the NHL and not private "publish or perish" research.

      I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
      scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
      information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or compile
      them themselves and release it? I really don't understand this "must be
      locked away in a file" attitude towards this old information. Unless,
      the NHL historical stats are a "pile of garbage", as Morey Holzman dubs
      it. And if it is garbage, then why wouldn't the NHL want to clean it
      up??

      > My personal pet peeve has always been seeing Mike Neville show up in
      > the 1917-18 stats. An early researcher made a mistake from a newspaper
      > account of a game and the error wasn't corrected for years. Even the
      > NHL guide used to include him in their retired player roster, showing
      > his first NHL season as 1917-18. The error was corrected based mainly
      > on Bob Duff's research.(not to mention the fact that Neville would have
      > only been 13 years old at the start of the 1917-18 season!)

      In fairness, the NHL only published the last name Neville and awarded
      him one goal. Someone somewhere added the first name "Mike".
      I agree with you about there being no Neville, and I think I told you
      about my theory on it, that given the way information was orally passed
      on by telephone to the wire press services, the name "Noble" was heard
      to be "Neville" by the person in the wire office and so it was printed
      in newspapers across the nation.

      > I would love for Bob to write a paper in the SIHR Journal outlining his
      > trials and tribulations in re-compiling the early stats of the NHL. It
      > would go a long way to answering many researchers questions.

      I agree, he should. It should have been done a long time ago.

      On 2007.2.4, at 01:08 AM, Stu McMurray wrote:

      > Stu writes-->
      > There were no score sheets until 1926-27. The NHL relied on newspaper
      > accounts. There was no radio coverage back then either. The newspaper
      > accounts were the only written record of the games. I am sure they had
      > errors but they would be the most accurate account of the games simply
      > by default wouldn't they?

      Yes and No on the accuracy. Yes because they are all there is. No,
      because it is a problem we have been down the road with the GP because
      the NHL didn't start compiling games GP until 42-43. The different
      books who compiled them have a lot of different numbers on them. I
      think it is save to argue that as soon as we start researching G, A &
      PIM, there is going to a deluge of different numbers from different
      people on these numbers because the newspapers will provide different
      numbers. The question is, do we want to go down this road?? Again, the
      NHL can avoid this in the years after 26-27 by releasing the summaries.

      James
    • slater@alum.rpi.edu
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
        >Hi Stu, the problem with this is that, as you have noted below, until
        >recently the NHL has been more than happy to sanction stats that
        >weren't correct for decades, so I don't think that we are in a position
        >yet to just simply accept what they offer as "officially correct."

        I tend to agree with this sentiment.

        >I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
        >scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
        >information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or compile
        >them themselves and release it? I really don't understand this "must be
        >locked away in a file" attitude towards this old information. Unless,
        >the NHL historical stats are a "pile of garbage", as Morey Holzman dubs
        >it. And if it is garbage, then why wouldn't the NHL want to clean it
        >up??

        The larger question in my mind is, which seasons never had game sheets vs. which seasons have the game sheets been lost or discarded? My impression is that game sheets existed for some of the seasons currently being revisited.

        If game sheets once existed, and the NHL compiled official statistics from them, then I think the bulk of the stats for those seasons is closed, with the exception of items not tabulated (such as games played or player splits).

        If no game sheets ever existed for the first season, for example, then I think that it's OK for that season to be revisited, provided that the research is sound. By sound, I mean that multiple sources should be used, and the results should be documented so that they can be re-checked and validated by others.

        >In fairness, the NHL only published the last name Neville and awarded
        >him one goal. Someone somewhere added the first name "Mike".
        >I agree with you about there being no Neville, and I think I told you
        >about my theory on it, that given the way information was orally passed
        >on by telephone to the wire press services, the name "Noble" was heard
        >to be "Neville" by the person in the wire office and so it was printed
        >in newspapers across the nation.

        Thanks for clearing this up; I am comfortable awarding this goal to Mike Noble. This is similar to the AHL inclusion of a goalie named "Jardine" in 1936-37, with Philadelphia, when their regular goalie was "Gardiner". If you just think about it, it's a clear typo.

        >> I would love for Bob to write a paper in the SIHR Journal outlining his
        >> trials and tribulations in re-compiling the early stats of the NHL. It
        >> would go a long way to answering many researchers questions.
        >>

        >I agree, he should. It should have been done a long time ago.

        Same here. Even if this is "work for hire" if the NHL and Duff want to be taken seriously, they need to tell people what they're doing instead of just saying "trust us...".

        Ralph Slate
        http://www.hockeydb.com
      • Stu McMurray
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
          James Karkoski wrote:

          > I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
          > scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
          > information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or
          > compile them themselves and release it? I really don't understand
          > this "must be locked away in a file" attitude towards this old
          > information.

          How would you have the NHL release the gamesheets?? I mean, it's not
          going to be a commercial venture that will generate profit, right? So
          what benefit does it serve them to go to the trouble to compile and
          publish their sheets?? Let's face it, there are only a handful of us
          that are really interested in this type of thing. (my wife calls it my
          "affliction" and tells me in mock anger to "get a life" on a regular
          basis <g>)

          Nothing is "locked away". Benny has always been helpful to me when I
          have gone to the Toronto office. He lets me work alone in the records
          room to do my research and I have been allowed to photocopy sheets and
          take them with me. On the way out I stop by his office and we talk shop
          for awhile. My experience with the NHL, specifically in the Toronto
          office, has always been a positive one. Way better than what Ralph has
          reported with his discussions with Frank Polnaszek.

          Stu

          Want to start your own business?
          Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
          http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
            --- Stu McMurray <stumcmurray@...> wrote:
            > Nothing is "locked away". Benny has always been
            > helpful to me when I
            > have gone to the Toronto office. He lets me work
            > alone in the records
            > room to do my research and I have been allowed to
            > photocopy sheets and
            > take them with me. On the way out I stop by his
            > office and we talk shop
            > for awhile. My experience with the NHL, specifically
            > in the Toronto
            > office, has always been a positive one. Way better
            > than what Ralph has
            > reported with his discussions with Frank Polnaszek.

            I used to work in the same building as the NHL, when
            they were in Montreal. And for a few years, I would
            ask for the end-of-year full stats (including full
            plus/minus: TGF, PGF, TGA, PGA). Ercolani didn't know
            me from a hole in the wall, but he went out of his way
            to produce it for me, and have it ready for me for
            pickup.

            Allowing Stu to make copies of the scoresheets is more
            than enough. If someone wants to volunteer to digitize
            them, by scanning them, that might be the next step.

            http://www.InsideTheBook.com

            -----------------------------------

          • flyershistory
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 6:19 PM
              I just found out about this group and see my name mentioned :)

              I can give results from my Quaker "exercise" using actual NHL game
              sheets. There are a number of discepancies between NHL official game
              sheet compilations and official stats.

              I'm a little under the weather right now, so it will be a few days, but
              it will further show how "off" the early official stats probably are.
              There were 2 or 3 games where the official game sheets for the Quakers
              were missing.

              Any suggestions on how you'd like to see these stats ? In a CSV file ?

              Peter
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4 5:45 AM
                CSV sounds good to me.

                Thanks,