Re: 2/1/07 database release

  • Stu McMurray
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
      Ralph Slate wrote:

      > dsreyn wrote:
      >
      > > Substantial revisions for 1917-18 through 1925-26 (and some others
      > > through about 1940), mainly in line with Total Hockey II.
      >
      > This one is a pet peeve of mine.

      Hi Guys:

      Bob Duff recompiled the NHL stats at the request of the league for the
      1917-18 through 1925-26 seasons. There are no gamesheets for these
      seasons. I have seen first-hand at the NHL office in Toronto that they
      have nothing for those first few years. In fact, there are a few sheets
      missing here and there for all seasons up until the early 1950's.

      The NHL commissioned and accepts Duff's work as official so who are we
      to say otherwise?

      There is no detailed methodology published because this was an inhouse
      project of the NHL and not private "publish or perish" research.

      My personal pet peeve has always been seeing Mike Neville show up in
      the 1917-18 stats. An early researcher made a mistake from a newspaper
      account of a game and the error wasn't corrected for years. Even the
      NHL guide used to include him in their retired player roster, showing
      his first NHL season as 1917-18. The error was corrected based mainly
      on Bob Duff's research.(not to mention the fact that Neville would have
      only been 13 years old at the start of the 1917-18 season!)

      I have talked to Duff a number of times on this interesting subject. He
      has shared his research with me and I provided the stats for the
      1917-18 season to this project because one of the goals here is
      accuracy. What could be more accurate than stats that are deemed
      official by the league in question?

      I would love for Bob to write a paper in the SIHR Journal outlining his
      trials and tribulations in re-compiling the early stats of the NHL. It
      would go a long way to answering many researchers questions.

      Stu

      Have a burning question?
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
        Stu McMurray wrote:
        > Bob Duff recompiled the NHL stats at the request of the league for the
        > 1917-18 through 1925-26 seasons. There are no gamesheets for these
        > seasons. I have seen first-hand at the NHL office in Toronto that they
        > have nothing for those first few years. In fact, there are a few sheets
        > missing here and there for all seasons up until the early 1950's.

        That's my peeve -- if score sheets once existed, they were presumably
        more accurate than newspaper accounts. I can _maybe_ see it for the
        1917-18 season, although I think that recreating assists is wrong,
        because they weren't awarded/compiled that season, and since they are
        subjective, this is revisionism.

        The Hockey Summary Project should tell you this. Look at what Pete Anson
        did with boxscores from the Hockey News -- he can't match the official
        stats.

        I would like to see Duff do his thing on a season where gamesheets are
        available -- using the exact same methodology, and then see what he
        comes up with. If there is more than a 1% difference, then I say the
        methodology is simply revisionism based on flawed accounts.

        Ralph
      • Stu McMurray
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
          Ralph wrote-->
          That's my peeve -- if score sheets once existed, they were presumably
          more accurate than newspaper accounts. I can _maybe_ see it for the
          1917-18 season, although I think that recreating assists is wrong,
          because they weren't awarded/compiled that season, and since they are
          subjective, this is revisionism.

          Stu writes-->
          There were no score sheets until 1926-27. The NHL relied on newspaper
          accounts. There was no radio coverage back then either. The newspaper
          accounts were the only written record of the games. I am sure they had
          errors but they would be the most accurate account of the games simply
          by default wouldn't they?

          On a side note I found that the majority of the missing sheets for the
          years 1927 to 1952 were from the Chicago home games played on Sundays.
          For some reason these game sheets had a hard time making it to the NHL
          office in Montreal. At the bottom of each sheet it stated that "This
          report should be checked, signed and dispatched to National Hockey
          League, 922 Sun Life Building, by the quickest means possible."
          Apparently the pony express out of the mid-west wasn't reliable when it
          came to delivering hockey reports. <g>

          ===

          Ralph wrote-->
          The Hockey Summary Project should tell you this. Look at what Pete
          Anson did with boxscores from the Hockey News -- he can't match the
          official stats.

          Stu writes-->
          Agreed, but we knew going in that the numbers would be off because THN
          was well known for typos. We used THN as a starting point for our data
          entry because that is what I had access to on a wide basis. I think we
          found that it could be off by 20% or more per year from the official
          stats <gasp> and the penalty totals were always hopelessly way off.

          ===

          Ralph wrote-->
          I would like to see Duff do his thing on a season where gamesheets are
          available -- using the exact same methodology, and then see what he
          comes up with. If there is more than a 1% difference, then I say the
          methodology is simply revisionism based on flawed accounts.

          Stu writes-->
          I have no doubt that the difference would be more than 1%. My
          experience with the HSP and working with THN summaries tells me so.
          Don't get me wrong, I hear you and agree with what you say except as it
          relates to those first 9 years of the NHL where the league itself
          relied on the newspaper accounts. That's the rub, in my view. The
          newspaper accounts were all there ever was back then. There couldn't
          possibly be anything more accurate (or flawed) because nothing else
          existed.

          Stu

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
        • Karkoski James
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
            On 2007.2.3, at 12:28 PM, Stu McMurray wrote:

            > The NHL commissioned and accepts Duff's work as official so who are we
            > to say otherwise?

            Hi Stu, the problem with this is that, as you have noted below, until
            recently the NHL has been more than happy to sanction stats that
            weren't correct for decades, so I don't think that we are in a position
            yet to just simply accept what they offer as "officially correct."

            > There is no detailed methodology published because this was an inhouse
            > project of the NHL and not private "publish or perish" research.

            I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
            scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
            information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or compile
            them themselves and release it? I really don't understand this "must be
            locked away in a file" attitude towards this old information. Unless,
            the NHL historical stats are a "pile of garbage", as Morey Holzman dubs
            it. And if it is garbage, then why wouldn't the NHL want to clean it
            up??

            > My personal pet peeve has always been seeing Mike Neville show up in
            > the 1917-18 stats. An early researcher made a mistake from a newspaper
            > account of a game and the error wasn't corrected for years. Even the
            > NHL guide used to include him in their retired player roster, showing
            > his first NHL season as 1917-18. The error was corrected based mainly
            > on Bob Duff's research.(not to mention the fact that Neville would have
            > only been 13 years old at the start of the 1917-18 season!)

            In fairness, the NHL only published the last name Neville and awarded
            him one goal. Someone somewhere added the first name "Mike".
            I agree with you about there being no Neville, and I think I told you
            about my theory on it, that given the way information was orally passed
            on by telephone to the wire press services, the name "Noble" was heard
            to be "Neville" by the person in the wire office and so it was printed
            in newspapers across the nation.

            > I would love for Bob to write a paper in the SIHR Journal outlining his
            > trials and tribulations in re-compiling the early stats of the NHL. It
            > would go a long way to answering many researchers questions.

            I agree, he should. It should have been done a long time ago.

            On 2007.2.4, at 01:08 AM, Stu McMurray wrote:

            > Stu writes-->
            > There were no score sheets until 1926-27. The NHL relied on newspaper
            > accounts. There was no radio coverage back then either. The newspaper
            > accounts were the only written record of the games. I am sure they had
            > errors but they would be the most accurate account of the games simply
            > by default wouldn't they?

            Yes and No on the accuracy. Yes because they are all there is. No,
            because it is a problem we have been down the road with the GP because
            the NHL didn't start compiling games GP until 42-43. The different
            books who compiled them have a lot of different numbers on them. I
            think it is save to argue that as soon as we start researching G, A &
            PIM, there is going to a deluge of different numbers from different
            people on these numbers because the newspapers will provide different
            numbers. The question is, do we want to go down this road?? Again, the
            NHL can avoid this in the years after 26-27 by releasing the summaries.

            James
          • slater@alum.rpi.edu
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
              >Hi Stu, the problem with this is that, as you have noted below, until
              >recently the NHL has been more than happy to sanction stats that
              >weren't correct for decades, so I don't think that we are in a position
              >yet to just simply accept what they offer as "officially correct."

              I tend to agree with this sentiment.

              >I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
              >scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
              >information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or compile
              >them themselves and release it? I really don't understand this "must be
              >locked away in a file" attitude towards this old information. Unless,
              >the NHL historical stats are a "pile of garbage", as Morey Holzman dubs
              >it. And if it is garbage, then why wouldn't the NHL want to clean it
              >up??

              The larger question in my mind is, which seasons never had game sheets vs. which seasons have the game sheets been lost or discarded? My impression is that game sheets existed for some of the seasons currently being revisited.

              If game sheets once existed, and the NHL compiled official statistics from them, then I think the bulk of the stats for those seasons is closed, with the exception of items not tabulated (such as games played or player splits).

              If no game sheets ever existed for the first season, for example, then I think that it's OK for that season to be revisited, provided that the research is sound. By sound, I mean that multiple sources should be used, and the results should be documented so that they can be re-checked and validated by others.

              >In fairness, the NHL only published the last name Neville and awarded
              >him one goal. Someone somewhere added the first name "Mike".
              >I agree with you about there being no Neville, and I think I told you
              >about my theory on it, that given the way information was orally passed
              >on by telephone to the wire press services, the name "Noble" was heard
              >to be "Neville" by the person in the wire office and so it was printed
              >in newspapers across the nation.

              Thanks for clearing this up; I am comfortable awarding this goal to Mike Noble. This is similar to the AHL inclusion of a goalie named "Jardine" in 1936-37, with Philadelphia, when their regular goalie was "Gardiner". If you just think about it, it's a clear typo.

              >> I would love for Bob to write a paper in the SIHR Journal outlining his
              >> trials and tribulations in re-compiling the early stats of the NHL. It
              >> would go a long way to answering many researchers questions.
              >>

              >I agree, he should. It should have been done a long time ago.

              Same here. Even if this is "work for hire" if the NHL and Duff want to be taken seriously, they need to tell people what they're doing instead of just saying "trust us...".

              Ralph Slate
              http://www.hockeydb.com
            • Stu McMurray
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
                James Karkoski wrote:

                > I'm kind of bothered about the NHL simply sitting on these old
                > scoresheets and making you go into their office to check your
                > information against them. Why don't they just release them? Or
                > compile them themselves and release it? I really don't understand
                > this "must be locked away in a file" attitude towards this old
                > information.

                How would you have the NHL release the gamesheets?? I mean, it's not
                going to be a commercial venture that will generate profit, right? So
                what benefit does it serve them to go to the trouble to compile and
                publish their sheets?? Let's face it, there are only a handful of us
                that are really interested in this type of thing. (my wife calls it my
                "affliction" and tells me in mock anger to "get a life" on a regular
                basis <g>)

                Nothing is "locked away". Benny has always been helpful to me when I
                have gone to the Toronto office. He lets me work alone in the records
                room to do my research and I have been allowed to photocopy sheets and
                take them with me. On the way out I stop by his office and we talk shop
                for awhile. My experience with the NHL, specifically in the Toronto
                office, has always been a positive one. Way better than what Ralph has
                reported with his discussions with Frank Polnaszek.

                Stu

                Want to start your own business?
                Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                  --- Stu McMurray <stumcmurray@...> wrote:
                  > Nothing is "locked away". Benny has always been
                  > helpful to me when I
                  > have gone to the Toronto office. He lets me work
                  > alone in the records
                  > room to do my research and I have been allowed to
                  > photocopy sheets and
                  > take them with me. On the way out I stop by his
                  > office and we talk shop
                  > for awhile. My experience with the NHL, specifically
                  > in the Toronto
                  > office, has always been a positive one. Way better
                  > than what Ralph has
                  > reported with his discussions with Frank Polnaszek.

                  I used to work in the same building as the NHL, when
                  they were in Montreal. And for a few years, I would
                  ask for the end-of-year full stats (including full
                  plus/minus: TGF, PGF, TGA, PGA). Ercolani didn't know
                  me from a hole in the wall, but he went out of his way
                  to produce it for me, and have it ready for me for
                  pickup.

                  Allowing Stu to make copies of the scoresheets is more
                  than enough. If someone wants to volunteer to digitize
                  them, by scanning them, that might be the next step.

                  http://www.InsideTheBook.com

                  -----------------------------------

                • flyershistory
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                    I just found out about this group and see my name mentioned :)

                    I can give results from my Quaker "exercise" using actual NHL game
                    sheets. There are a number of discepancies between NHL official game
                    sheet compilations and official stats.

                    I'm a little under the weather right now, so it will be a few days, but
                    it will further show how "off" the early official stats probably are.
                    There were 2 or 3 games where the official game sheets for the Quakers
                    were missing.

                    Any suggestions on how you'd like to see these stats ? In a CSV file ?

                    Peter
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                      CSV sounds good to me.

                      Thanks,