Project scope / goals / "to do" list

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      General objectives:

      * Provide data in a format that can be used to run queries, aid in
      research, etc.

      * Avoid excessive restrictions on distribution and use.

      * Try to be as historically accurate as possible. This means that the
      data could deviate from historical "original" sources in a number of
      cases.

      Scope:

      * Currently the database covers the NHL and WHA. I would like to
      expand it to include several other leagues generally recognized as
      "major": NHA (1909-10 through 1916-17), PCHA (1911-12 through
      1923-24), and WCHL (1921-22 through 1925-26). I consider minor
      leagues, amateur leagues, European leagues, etc. to be beyond the
      scope of this project.

      "To do" list (in no particular order of priority):

      * Resolve situations where individual totals do not add to the team
      totals. Obviously, this will not always be possible, but some errors
      may be correctable. For example, there are a relatively large number
      of cases in the 1980s where PIM totals don't add correctly.

      * Data for the other major leagues mentioned above.

      * A postseason series table - not listing every game, but summarizing
      the results of each playoff round.

      * Team splits (home / road records, month by month results).

      * Additional biographical information:
      - Change name information so we have first name, middle name, and
      nickname(s)
      - Height, weight, shooting hand
      - Death (date, location)
      - College attended

      * Draft information - year, drafting team, round, overall pick number.

      * Additional statistical categories - power play and shorthanded
      assists, average time on ice, game tying goals, overtime goals,
      shootout statistics (for both shooters and goalies). I rate this as a
      fairly low priority. Of the statistics I mentioned, I'd probably be
      most interested in shootout statistics.

      * Total Hockey II updated goals allowed for 1955-56 through 1962-63 to
      account for empty net goals. I haven't decided how or if I want to
      incorporate this information. One possibility would be to leave the
      goals allowed data as-is, and add a supplementary table with the
      revised figures.

      There are probably a bunch of other useful things that could be added.

      Doug
    • slater@alum.rpi.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
        Doug --

        Based on these goals focusing on major league hockey, I'm willing to help in any way that I can.

        Let me start by suggesting that for biographical information, both a birthplace and hometown be stored. I can provide you what I have for vital stats, along with draft information and a "last amateur team" field.

        I can also provide playoff game dates, scores and results for a lot of the NHL seasons.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
          Sounds good Ralph. One question though - what do you have in mind for
          hometown? That is, would this be current residence, or would it be
          where the player grew up (since that is often different from place of
          birth)?

          Doug

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
            dsreyn wrote:

            >> Sounds good Ralph. One question though - what do you have in mind for
            >> hometown? That is, would this be current residence, or would it be
            >> where the player grew up (since that is often different from place of
            >> birth)?

            Hometown is very subjective, but it gives the opportunity to show where
            a player "learned his hockey" -- not where they are currently living.

            I know, for example, that Graeme Townshend was born in Kingston,
            Jamaica. He most certainly did not grow up playing hockey there -- he
            moved to Canada at an early age. I can't recall the city.

            Hometown is usually self-reported by a player. NCAA and Juniors publish
            hometown, not birthplace. It might relate to the town a player's parents
            lived in when he was born (as opposed to where the hospital was located).

            The hometown/birthplace thing is perhaps my greatest source of emails.
            People are always writing, saying "I grew up with so-and-so, he is from
            X, not Y". When I ask them if they are SURE that he was born in X, they
            often come back and say "well, I talked to him, he was actually born in
            Y, but grew up in X".