Re: [hockey-databank] Re: Fantastic

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
      > I believe the Lahman / Forman team is working on a hockey site.
      > http://www.hockey-reference.com <http://www.hockey-reference.com> has
      > been reserved by them for over a
      > year, though it's just a placeholder for now. Lahman apparently has a
      > hockey database of his own.
      >
      > For what it's worth, there's another site that's been up at least a
      > year with a layout undoubtedly based on the sports-reference.
      >
      > com model
      > (though lacking most of the usual sports-reference.com bells and
      > whistles) at http://www.databasehockey.com
      > <http://www.databasehockey.com> (NHL only, with only the
      > basic stats).

      On that note, do people actually LIKE the layout of the
      baseball-reference website? I've used it on occasion, but I found it
      maddening to use.

      On another note, there is another hockey stats database project,
      developed independent from the other online sources.

      http://www.bballsports.com/

      That one is different because it is actually an online application that
      does not allow you unfettered access to raw data, but gives you an
      interface to query it. From what the site says, it only goes to 2004. I
      suppose the problem with any such site is that there is a risk that they
      will get discouraged and give up.

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- Ralph Slate <slater@...> wrote:
        > On that note, do people actually LIKE the layout of
        > the
        > baseball-reference website? I've used it on
        > occasion, but I found it
        > maddening to use.

        What is so maddening about it? Speaking as both a
        programmer and end-user, it's fantastic.

        And I'm not alone:
        http://tinyurl.com/32gvvt

        HockeyDB is excellent too.

        http://www.InsideTheBook.com

        -----------------------------------

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
          Tangotiger w
          > What is so maddening about it? Speaking as both a
          > programmer and end-user, it's fantastic.
          I think it's the overabundance of abbreviations. I like the verbosity of
          showing that a player played for the Boston Bruins instead of BOS. I
          suppose that something has to give when there are 20+ items to report on
          a line. I also don't like the "throw everything onto one page" concept,
          I'd prefer to see data more categorized.

          I do like the "similar player" function though. That's really cool. Too
          bad the lack of hockey stats makes such automated comparisons virtually
          impossible to make.