Re: Fantastic

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
      I'll address scope / goals / "to do" list shortly in a separate post.
      Suffice it to say for now that my goal is most definitely *not* to
      duplicate hockeydb.com in CSV format.

      As far as the chances of this project killing off hockeydb.com, I
      honestly don't think there's much to worry about.
      Baseball-reference.com has continued to grow despite the fact that the
      underlying data is freely available (there has even been talk of
      adding employees in the blog recently).

      Doug

      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, <slater@...> wrote:
      > I only started this conversation because of the talk of expanding the
      > database with more data that was "available at hockeydb". Today it's
      > just NHL/WHA data, but the next logical phase is to include data from
      > other leagues for NHL players, then the next logical phase is to include
      > the other players from those leagues, etc. And before you know it, the
      > goal of the group is to simply scrape data from hockeydb and publish it
      > as a standalone database to let others use it in their own ventures.
      >
      > I think this is an important conversation to have, because if the
      > ultimate goal is to open-source all hockeydb.com's data without doing
      > any additional research to augment the body of knowledge, let me know so
      > I can shift my priorities and not get hung up on the idea that I'll be
      > able to ever do this as my day job.
      >
      > Ralph Slate
      > http://www.hockeydb.com

    • tangotiger
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@...> wrote:
        > As far as the chances of this project killing off hockeydb.com, I
        > honestly don't think there's much to worry about.
        > Baseball-reference.com has continued to grow despite the fact that the
        > underlying data is freely available (there has even been talk of
        > adding employees in the blog recently).
        >
        > Doug

        Baseball-Reference.com, TheBaseballCube.com, BaseballAlmanac.com,
        BaseballProspectus.com, REtrosheet.org, and I'm sure others, all offer
        an online baseball database. For the first, definitely, and the 3rd
        and 4th and 5th, likely, they all used, or started to use, the Lahman
        database, which itself has been spawned into baseball-databank.org.

        The reason they can all exist is because the marketplace supports it.
        Only the 2nd one offers minor league data (and draft data). B-r.com
        and Retro offer PBP data in addition. BP.com offers "adjusted" stats.

        Insofar as hockeydb.com, it's existence can be assured as long as it
        keeps something of value, the most important being the minor league
        data. HockeyDB.com can increase its value by including the PP/SH and
        full plus/minus data, and can decrease its value by giving up its draft
        data. Whether that's a fair trade, both sides can decide.

        Since Ralph is a superb researcher, it would be insane to try,
        intentionally or as a byproduct, to squeeze him out. We need guys like
        Ralph.

        Doug has also proven himself to be quite resourceful, and therefore,
        his efforts need to be fed as well, if we want this thing to grow.

        It is also possible that baseball-reference will eventually get into
        the hockey field (or some other site), be it either by buying out Ralph
        or Doug or going on its own. To that end, the sites that don't grow
        will end up being on the short-end.

        I would have to say that any data that is made available would need to
        be done with almost no limitation, as is Retrosheet and baseball-
        databank (i.e., cite the source). Anything else would be a recipe for
        disaster.

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
          I believe the Lahman / Forman team is working on a hockey site.
          http://www.hockey-reference.com has been reserved by them for over a
          year, though it's just a placeholder for now. Lahman apparently has a
          hockey database of his own.

          For what it's worth, there's another site that's been up at least a
          year with a layout undoubtedly based on the sports-reference.com model
          (though lacking most of the usual sports-reference.com bells and
          whistles) at http://www.databasehockey.com (NHL only, with only the
          basic stats).

          Doug

          --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "tangotiger" <tangotiger@...>

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
            > I believe the Lahman / Forman team is working on a hockey site.
            > http://www.hockey-reference.com <http://www.hockey-reference.com> has
            > been reserved by them for over a
            > year, though it's just a placeholder for now. Lahman apparently has a
            > hockey database of his own.
            >
            > For what it's worth, there's another site that's been up at least a
            > year with a layout undoubtedly based on the sports-reference.
            >
            > com model
            > (though lacking most of the usual sports-reference.com bells and
            > whistles) at http://www.databasehockey.com
            > <http://www.databasehockey.com> (NHL only, with only the
            > basic stats).

            On that note, do people actually LIKE the layout of the
            baseball-reference website? I've used it on occasion, but I found it
            maddening to use.

            On another note, there is another hockey stats database project,
            developed independent from the other online sources.

            http://www.bballsports.com/

            That one is different because it is actually an online application that
            does not allow you unfettered access to raw data, but gives you an
            interface to query it. From what the site says, it only goes to 2004. I
            suppose the problem with any such site is that there is a risk that they
            will get discouraged and give up.

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
              --- Ralph Slate <slater@...> wrote:
              > On that note, do people actually LIKE the layout of
              > the
              > baseball-reference website? I've used it on
              > occasion, but I found it
              > maddening to use.

              What is so maddening about it? Speaking as both a
              programmer and end-user, it's fantastic.

              And I'm not alone:
              http://tinyurl.com/32gvvt

              HockeyDB is excellent too.

              http://www.InsideTheBook.com

              -----------------------------------

              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
                Tangotiger w
                > What is so maddening about it? Speaking as both a
                > programmer and end-user, it's fantastic.
                I think it's the overabundance of abbreviations. I like the verbosity of
                showing that a player played for the Boston Bruins instead of BOS. I
                suppose that something has to give when there are 20+ items to report on
                a line. I also don't like the "throw everything onto one page" concept,
                I'd prefer to see data more categorized.

                I do like the "similar player" function though. That's really cool. Too
                bad the lack of hockey stats makes such automated comparisons virtually
                impossible to make.