Re: [hockey-databank] Re: Fantastic

  • slater@alum.rpi.edu
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
      The lag on this list is killing me :->

      >You probably sent this before my last message, but again let me
      >emphasize - this database was NOT "pulled" from hockeydb.com.
      >Frankly, I think it's a bit presumptuous for you to assume that it was.

      You don't have my perspective. Generally, when a large body of hockey data appears on the internet, it comes from one of a small handful of sources. My site, being the most well known, is usually the source.

      That's why I asked what the ultimate goal here is. If it is finite enough I'm glad to help. If the goal is to open-source all data available at hockeydb.com I'd be an idiot to facilitate that.

      >Discussion about whether hockeydb.com has been ripped off is now closed.

      As I wrote (which you may not have read yet), I only initiated this discussion because of the suggestion to pull NHL draft data from hockeydb.com. I assume we can still discuss that?

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
        I'll address scope / goals / "to do" list shortly in a separate post.
        Suffice it to say for now that my goal is most definitely *not* to
        duplicate hockeydb.com in CSV format.

        As far as the chances of this project killing off hockeydb.com, I
        honestly don't think there's much to worry about.
        Baseball-reference.com has continued to grow despite the fact that the
        underlying data is freely available (there has even been talk of
        adding employees in the blog recently).

        Doug

        --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, <slater@...> wrote:
        > I only started this conversation because of the talk of expanding the
        > database with more data that was "available at hockeydb". Today it's
        > just NHL/WHA data, but the next logical phase is to include data from
        > other leagues for NHL players, then the next logical phase is to include
        > the other players from those leagues, etc. And before you know it, the
        > goal of the group is to simply scrape data from hockeydb and publish it
        > as a standalone database to let others use it in their own ventures.
        >
        > I think this is an important conversation to have, because if the
        > ultimate goal is to open-source all hockeydb.com's data without doing
        > any additional research to augment the body of knowledge, let me know so
        > I can shift my priorities and not get hung up on the idea that I'll be
        > able to ever do this as my day job.
        >
        > Ralph Slate
        > http://www.hockeydb.com

      • tangotiger
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@...> wrote:
          > As far as the chances of this project killing off hockeydb.com, I
          > honestly don't think there's much to worry about.
          > Baseball-reference.com has continued to grow despite the fact that the
          > underlying data is freely available (there has even been talk of
          > adding employees in the blog recently).
          >
          > Doug

          Baseball-Reference.com, TheBaseballCube.com, BaseballAlmanac.com,
          BaseballProspectus.com, REtrosheet.org, and I'm sure others, all offer
          an online baseball database. For the first, definitely, and the 3rd
          and 4th and 5th, likely, they all used, or started to use, the Lahman
          database, which itself has been spawned into baseball-databank.org.

          The reason they can all exist is because the marketplace supports it.
          Only the 2nd one offers minor league data (and draft data). B-r.com
          and Retro offer PBP data in addition. BP.com offers "adjusted" stats.

          Insofar as hockeydb.com, it's existence can be assured as long as it
          keeps something of value, the most important being the minor league
          data. HockeyDB.com can increase its value by including the PP/SH and
          full plus/minus data, and can decrease its value by giving up its draft
          data. Whether that's a fair trade, both sides can decide.

          Since Ralph is a superb researcher, it would be insane to try,
          intentionally or as a byproduct, to squeeze him out. We need guys like
          Ralph.

          Doug has also proven himself to be quite resourceful, and therefore,
          his efforts need to be fed as well, if we want this thing to grow.

          It is also possible that baseball-reference will eventually get into
          the hockey field (or some other site), be it either by buying out Ralph
          or Doug or going on its own. To that end, the sites that don't grow
          will end up being on the short-end.

          I would have to say that any data that is made available would need to
          be done with almost no limitation, as is Retrosheet and baseball-
          databank (i.e., cite the source). Anything else would be a recipe for
          disaster.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
            I believe the Lahman / Forman team is working on a hockey site.
            http://www.hockey-reference.com has been reserved by them for over a
            year, though it's just a placeholder for now. Lahman apparently has a
            hockey database of his own.

            For what it's worth, there's another site that's been up at least a
            year with a layout undoubtedly based on the sports-reference.com model
            (though lacking most of the usual sports-reference.com bells and
            whistles) at http://www.databasehockey.com (NHL only, with only the
            basic stats).

            Doug

            --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "tangotiger" <tangotiger@...>

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
              > I believe the Lahman / Forman team is working on a hockey site.
              > http://www.hockey-reference.com <http://www.hockey-reference.com> has
              > been reserved by them for over a
              > year, though it's just a placeholder for now. Lahman apparently has a
              > hockey database of his own.
              >
              > For what it's worth, there's another site that's been up at least a
              > year with a layout undoubtedly based on the sports-reference.
              >
              > com model
              > (though lacking most of the usual sports-reference.com bells and
              > whistles) at http://www.databasehockey.com
              > <http://www.databasehockey.com> (NHL only, with only the
              > basic stats).

              On that note, do people actually LIKE the layout of the
              baseball-reference website? I've used it on occasion, but I found it
              maddening to use.

              On another note, there is another hockey stats database project,
              developed independent from the other online sources.

              http://www.bballsports.com/

              That one is different because it is actually an online application that
              does not allow you unfettered access to raw data, but gives you an
              interface to query it. From what the site says, it only goes to 2004. I
              suppose the problem with any such site is that there is a risk that they
              will get discouraged and give up.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
                --- Ralph Slate <slater@...> wrote:
                > On that note, do people actually LIKE the layout of
                > the
                > baseball-reference website? I've used it on
                > occasion, but I found it
                > maddening to use.

                What is so maddening about it? Speaking as both a
                programmer and end-user, it's fantastic.

                And I'm not alone:
                http://tinyurl.com/32gvvt

                HockeyDB is excellent too.

                http://www.InsideTheBook.com

                -----------------------------------

                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Tangotiger w
                  > What is so maddening about it? Speaking as both a
                  > programmer and end-user, it's fantastic.
                  I think it's the overabundance of abbreviations. I like the verbosity of
                  showing that a player played for the Boston Bruins instead of BOS. I
                  suppose that something has to give when there are 20+ items to report on
                  a line. I also don't like the "throw everything onto one page" concept,
                  I'd prefer to see data more categorized.

                  I do like the "similar player" function though. That's really cool. Too
                  bad the lack of hockey stats makes such automated comparisons virtually
                  impossible to make.