Database Issues

  • Bryan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 1:01 AM
      The Powerplay goals data for all the players is off by one year the 08/09 season is notated in the year 08 for the players.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2011
        I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your statement correctly. I don't see how power play goals (and nothing else) would be off by one year.

        If you're trying to say what I *think* you are, you're complaining about a design feature. I wanted the year field to be a numeric value, so I had to choose (for example) whether to use 2008 or 2009 for the 2008-09 season. I chose to go with 2008, and so that applies to the playoffs that follow the 2008-09 season as well (even though those playoffs took place only in the 2009 calendar year). Of course, in the Scoring and Goalies tables (among others), the regular season data and the playoff data are part of the same record anyway.

        In any case, I suppose the year field could be changed to be something like "2008-09". But I don't see any major advantage to this - as long as everyone knows how it's designed, I don't really see it as a problem.

        Doug

        --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Bryan <sd_dreamer@...> wrote:

        > The Powerplay goals data for all the players is off by one year the 08/09 season is notated in the year 08 for the players.

      • forever1940
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2011
          Would it be possible to show the year in decimal form? Thus the past season would be 2010.11 which would eliminate the confusion.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2011
            It certainly would be possible to make a change like that, but I'm somewhat hesitant to change the year field after living with it the other way for 4+ years. I know I have a bunch of scripts that would require changes, and I assume other people do too. Besides, it *is* explained in the readme.txt that's included with each release. So at a minimum, I'd like to have some other folks weigh in before giving serious consideration to a change.

            Doug

            --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "forever1940" <forever1940@...> wrote:

            > Would it be possible to show the year in decimal form? Thus the past season would be 2010.11 which would eliminate the confusion.
            >

            > --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your statement correctly. I don't see how power play goals (and nothing else) would be off by one year.
            > >
            > > If you're trying to say what I *think* you are, you're complaining about a design feature. I wanted the year field to be a numeric value, so I had to choose (for example) whether to use 2008 or 2009 for the 2008-09 season. I chose to go with 2008, and so that applies to the playoffs that follow the 2008-09 season as well (even though those playoffs took place only in the 2009 calendar year). Of course, in the Scoring and Goalies tables (among others), the regular season data and the playoff data are part of the same record anyway.
            > >
            > > In any case, I suppose the year field could be changed to be something like "2008-09". But I don't see any major advantage to this - as long as everyone knows how it's designed, I don't really see it as a problem.
            > >
            > > Doug
            > >
            > > --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Bryan <sd_dreamer@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The Powerplay goals data for all the players is off by one year the 08/09 season is notated in the year 08 for the players.

          • Jason Latus
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2011
              Hello,

              I have worked with and built many different sports databases and I
              always use the YEAR in which a season starts for the YEAR. I think the
              YEAR FIELD should always be a 4 digit number. I always feel like as
              long as something works, no need to change it.
            • KJOK
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2011
                I have a college basketball database, and like hockey, basketball seasons overlap years. I use a 4-digit season field, and always use the year in which the season ENDS. I however also provide a date field for each game(form yyyymmdd) if someone needs to query for the actual calendar year for information.

                THANKS,
                Kevin Johnson

                --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Jason Latus <jlatus@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I have worked with and built many different sports databases and I
                > always use the YEAR in which a season starts for the YEAR. I think the
                > YEAR FIELD should always be a 4 digit number. I always feel like as
                > long as something works, no need to change it.

              • hockeydad55
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2011
                  Like Kevin, my preference is a 4-digit season that represents which year the season ends. Largely because that's the year the playoffs are in, so otherwise it's somewhat confusing when you talk about playoff seasons. But, between what we have currently and the proposed format using a two-digit decimal, I would prefer the current format.

                  Roger Brewer