Simple suggestions for next update

  • hockeydad55
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7 8:59 AM
      Hi Doug -

      Thank you very much for your work! I have attempted a similar venture many times for my own use, but it always falls by the wayside due to limited time and/or resources.

      Some simple suggestions for the next update. In the Scoring file, you can populate PPG, SHG, GWG, and GTG = 0 for everyone who has 0 goals scored. Likewise, PPA and SHA = 0 for all players with 0 assists. (And of course, similar concept for the post-season stats as well.)

      Also, for every team in history that had 0 ties in a season, all the players on their team can be populated with 0 GTG's. Similarly, in the playoffs, if a team won 0 playoff games, then all the players on their team can be populated with 0 PostGWG's.

      I know these are all pretty minor and simple, but they are certainly accurate and are very easy to update. I have always been fascinated with the concept of complete and accurate statistical histories in sports, so I just love projects like this. If I can find the time, I wouldn't mind contributing other pieces of data (such as uniform numbers, the respective components that make up +/-, time-on-ice, and other data), though no guarantees.

      Roger
    • kmanter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2009
        These suggestions do seem logical, but there are times when it may be useful to differentiate between "data not available" and "zero". I assume that the blank data fields indicate "DNA" in the current files. It's probably better to just let the end user of the files fill in the zeroes as you recommend.

        --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "hockeydad55" <hockeydad444@...> wrote:

        > Hi Doug -
        >
        > Thank you very much for your work! I have attempted a similar venture many times for my own use, but it always falls by the wayside due to limited time and/or resources.
        >
        > Some simple suggestions for the next update. In the Scoring file, you can populate PPG, SHG, GWG, and GTG = 0 for everyone who has 0 goals scored. Likewise, PPA and SHA = 0 for all players with 0 assists. (And of course, similar concept for the post-season stats as well.)
        >
        > Also, for every team in history that had 0 ties in a season, all the players on their team can be populated with 0 GTG's. Similarly, in the playoffs, if a team won 0 playoff games, then all the players on their team can be populated with 0 PostGWG's.
        >
        > I know these are all pretty minor and simple, but they are certainly accurate and are very easy to update. I have always been fascinated with the concept of complete and accurate statistical histories in sports, so I just love projects like this. If I can find the time, I wouldn't mind contributing other pieces of data (such as uniform numbers, the respective components that make up +/-, time-on-ice, and other data), though no guarantees.
        >
        > Roger

      • Nolan White
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2009
          Within "database land", the proper method to handle "data not available" is through the use of NULL. Using NULL is unambiguous, where blanks are decidedly not.
          Some SQL database programs (older, less developed, but still) will either choke on or incorrectly handle data containing spaces.

          Regardless, I want to at least join hockeydad55 in saying thank you!