Re: Date of death sources?

  • chris.fletcher66
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      Thanks Doug - I missed the readme and notes files, should have checked them first.

      There are bizarre coincidences out there. As I started looking for data on this topic I
      clicked first on the 1922-23 Canadiens to find two players, Odie and Sprague Cleghorn-
      brothers, with my maternal grandparent's last name. They brothers Cleghorn died within
      days of each other and are buried in the same cemetery as my maternal grandmother -
      Sheena Cleghorn. Spooky. I will post updates on our project as we work through it.

      Best,
      Chris

      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@...> wrote:

      > The death info has been cobbled together from multiple sources.
      > Generally speaking, any source I have used (for the entire project) is
      > listed in the "references and acknowledgements" part of the readme
      > file included with each release. The death information specifically
      > has generally come from one of the following:
      >
      > - Total Hockey
      > - hockey-reference.com
      > - Find A Grave (www.findagrave.com)
      > - SIHR (www.sihrhockey.org) - they've posted annual lists of
      > hockey-related deaths for the last several years
      > - LostHockey.com (www.losthockey.com)
      >
      > I have occasionally added recent deaths (the last year or so) after
      > seeing news stories on ESPN.com, the hockhist Yahoo group, HFBoards,
      > etc. Though of course, these generally show up in the annual SIHR
      > lists. In case you're wondering, as a general rule I avoid using
      > Wikipedia for anything that I can't corroborate elsewhere.
      >
      > As far as reliability of the information is concerned, I'm fairly
      > confident the death info is fairly reliable. However, keep in mind
      > that consulting multiple sources will sometimes yield different dates
      > for the same player. There's also one case in particular that's
      > probably wrong. There are two players in the database named Jack
      > McDonald - one born in 1887, the other in 1921. Total Hockey and
      > Hockey-reference.com give a date of death for *both* as 1/24/58. Two
      > players with the same name, born 34 years apart, both dying on the
      > same date? Seems like an incredible coincidence (though Adams and
      > Jefferson both died on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of
      > Independence, so I suppose anything is possible) - I suspect the
      > likely explanation is a mixup given the identical names.
      >
      > The "9999" entries indicate that a player is known to be deceased, but
      > no specific details are known. I have only marked players as deceased
      > in this way if they are indicated as such either in Total Hockey, or
      > in the player career totals lists in the Official NHL Guide & Record
      > Book. There are a number of other players who can be presumed to be
      > deceased given their birth year, but I have not marked them as
      > deceased without confirmation.
      >
      > Doug
      >
      > --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "chris.fletcher66"
      > <cfmletcher@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi - This is a great resource, thanks for putting it together! I am
      > starting a bit of research on
      > > how long hockey players live, change in lifespan over time, and
      > comparisons to the national
      > > (canada) average.
      > >
      > > A couple of questions about the database:
      > >
      > > Where do date of death records come from? I am curious about how
      > much confidence we can
      > > put in these dates.
      > >
      > > Some DoD fields are marked "9999" and others are blank including
      > people born in the 1890s
      > > and presumably gone now. Is there a distinction here?
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Chris Fletcher

    • James Milks
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
        Hi,
        The Jack McDonald born in 1887 is the one who died in 1958. I do not know if the Jack born in 1921 has died or not.

        I have lots of dates, so let me know if there are any in particular you are seeking. losthockey.com is terribly out of date, and I will likely pull it offline soon.

        James