55Re: Project scope / goals / "to do" list

    Feb 6, 2007
      Sounds good Ralph. One question though - what do you have in mind for
      hometown? That is, would this be current residence, or would it be
      where the player grew up (since that is often different from place of
      birth)?

      Doug

      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, <slater@...> wrote:

      > Doug --
      >
      > Based on these goals focusing on major league hockey, I'm willing to
      > help in any way that I can.
      >
      > Let me start by suggesting that for biographical information, both a
      > birthplace and hometown be stored. I can provide you what I have for
      > vital stats, along with draft information and a "last amateur team"
      > field.
      >
      > I can also provide playoff game dates, scores and results for a lot of
      > the NHL seasons.
      >
      > Ralph
      >
      > >* Provide data in a format that can be used to run queries, aid in
      > >research, etc.
      > >
      > >* Avoid excessive restrictions on distribution and use.
      > >
      > >* Try to be as historically accurate as possible. This means that the
      > >data could deviate from historical "original" sources in a number of
      > >cases.
      > >
      > >Scope:
      > >
      > >* Currently the database covers the NHL and WHA. I would like to
      > >expand it to include several other leagues generally recognized as
      > >"major": NHA (1909-10 through 1916-17), PCHA (1911-12 through
      > >1923-24), and WCHL (1921-22 through 1925-26). I consider minor
      > >leagues, amateur leagues, European leagues, etc. to be beyond the
      > >scope of this project.
      > >
      > >"To do" list (in no particular order of priority):
      > >
      > >* Resolve situations where individual totals do not add to the team
      > >totals. Obviously, this will not always be possible, but some errors
      > >may be correctable. For example, there are a relatively large number
      > >of cases in the 1980s where PIM totals don't add correctly.
      > >
      > >* Data for the other major leagues mentioned above.
      > >
      > >* A postseason series table - not listing every game, but summarizing
      > >the results of each playoff round.
      > >
      > >* Team splits (home / road records, month by month results).
      > >
      > >* Additional biographical information:
      > >- Change name information so we have first name, middle name, and
      > >nickname(s)
      > >- Height, weight, shooting hand
      > >- Death (date, location)
      > >- College attended
      > >
      > >* Draft information - year, drafting team, round, overall pick number.
      > >
      > >* Additional statistical categories - power play and shorthanded
      > >assists, average time on ice, game tying goals, overtime goals,
      > >shootout statistics (for both shooters and goalies). I rate this as a
      > >fairly low priority. Of the statistics I mentioned, I'd probably be
      > >most interested in shootout statistics.
      > >
      > >* Total Hockey II updated goals allowed for 1955-56 through 1962-63 to
      > >account for empty net goals. I haven't decided how or if I want to
      > >incorporate this information. One possibility would be to leave the
      > >goals allowed data as-is, and add a supplementary table with the
      > >revised figures.
      > >
      > >There are probably a bunch of other useful things that could be added.
      > >
      > >Doug
      > >

      > >Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
> [...]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic