29Re: Fantastic

    Feb 1, 2007
      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, <slater@...> wrote:

      > I'm obviously trying to protect my self-interests here. I have no
      > problem whatsoever with people using data from hockeydb.com personally,
      > or to further their research, particularly when it comes in the form of
      > value-added (I don't consider the ability to subtotal "value-added", by
      > the way, because I was talking in terms adding additional information,
      > not just user interface usability). My main concern is competition
      > derived directly from my own work.

      Let's be clear on one point - I freely admit that I did not type
      everything in from scratch, but this database was *not* derived from
      hockeydb.com. The primary sources used were:

      * The Hockey Research Association: NHL 1917-18 - 1976-77, 1982-83,
      1984-85, 1988-89 - 1998-99; team special teams, 1962-63 - 2000-01; all
      WHA seasons
      * The Hockey Summary Project: 1977-78 - 1979-80
      * USA Today: 1999-2000 - 2005-06
      * North American Pro Hockey (Tom King's site): 1983-84, 1985-86 - 1987-88
      * Recent team special teams statistics (2001-02 - present) were
      obtained from ESPN.com

      This left a number of gaps (certain statistics missing from various
      years), which were then filled in by hand from published sources. I
      primarily used hockeydb.com as a convenient way of double checking
      problems - for example, when team totals didn't add up, it was a
      convenient way to determine if a player / season had been omitted.

      As far as "value added" is concerned - whether or not you see the
      value in the ability to "subtotal", I think a number of people may
      find it very useful. As far as "adding additional information" is
      concerned - have you actually looked at the database? Because if you
      do, you'll see that it includes power play goals, shorthanded goals,
      shots taken, +/-, etc. - unless I'm mistaken, NONE of this is
      available at hockeydb.com.