169Re: Database Issues

    May 2, 2011
      I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your statement correctly. I don't see how power play goals (and nothing else) would be off by one year.

      If you're trying to say what I *think* you are, you're complaining about a design feature. I wanted the year field to be a numeric value, so I had to choose (for example) whether to use 2008 or 2009 for the 2008-09 season. I chose to go with 2008, and so that applies to the playoffs that follow the 2008-09 season as well (even though those playoffs took place only in the 2009 calendar year). Of course, in the Scoring and Goalies tables (among others), the regular season data and the playoff data are part of the same record anyway.

      In any case, I suppose the year field could be changed to be something like "2008-09". But I don't see any major advantage to this - as long as everyone knows how it's designed, I don't really see it as a problem.

      Doug

      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, Bryan <sd_dreamer@...> wrote:

      > The Powerplay goals data for all the players is off by one year the 08/09 season is notated in the year 08 for the players.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic