112Re: Date of death sources?

    Feb 2, 2009
      The death info has been cobbled together from multiple sources.
      Generally speaking, any source I have used (for the entire project) is
      listed in the "references and acknowledgements" part of the readme
      file included with each release. The death information specifically
      has generally come from one of the following:

      - Total Hockey
      - hockey-reference.com
      - Find A Grave (www.findagrave.com)
      - SIHR (www.sihrhockey.org) - they've posted annual lists of
      hockey-related deaths for the last several years
      - LostHockey.com (www.losthockey.com)

      I have occasionally added recent deaths (the last year or so) after
      seeing news stories on ESPN.com, the hockhist Yahoo group, HFBoards,
      etc. Though of course, these generally show up in the annual SIHR
      lists. In case you're wondering, as a general rule I avoid using
      Wikipedia for anything that I can't corroborate elsewhere.

      As far as reliability of the information is concerned, I'm fairly
      confident the death info is fairly reliable. However, keep in mind
      that consulting multiple sources will sometimes yield different dates
      for the same player. There's also one case in particular that's
      probably wrong. There are two players in the database named Jack
      McDonald - one born in 1887, the other in 1921. Total Hockey and
      Hockey-reference.com give a date of death for *both* as 1/24/58. Two
      players with the same name, born 34 years apart, both dying on the
      same date? Seems like an incredible coincidence (though Adams and
      Jefferson both died on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of
      Independence, so I suppose anything is possible) - I suspect the
      likely explanation is a mixup given the identical names.

      The "9999" entries indicate that a player is known to be deceased, but
      no specific details are known. I have only marked players as deceased
      in this way if they are indicated as such either in Total Hockey, or
      in the player career totals lists in the Official NHL Guide & Record
      Book. There are a number of other players who can be presumed to be
      deceased given their birth year, but I have not marked them as
      deceased without confirmation.

      Doug

      --- In hockey-databank@yahoogroups.com, "chris.fletcher66"
      <cfmletcher@...> wrote:

      > Hi - This is a great resource, thanks for putting it together! I am
      starting a bit of research on
      > how long hockey players live, change in lifespan over time, and
      comparisons to the national
      > (canada) average.
      >
      > A couple of questions about the database:
      >
      > Where do date of death records come from? I am curious about how
      much confidence we can
      > put in these dates.
      >
      > Some DoD fields are marked "9999" and others are blank including
      people born in the 1890s
      > and presumably gone now. Is there a distinction here?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Chris Fletcher

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic