Re: lost foam at home

  • duwayne
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
      Here is a link to a short video and several screen shots of one of
      my first lost foam casting sessions. You will see that for small
      parts the furnace is about as small as can be made. This was a zinc
      aloy part and used a cut up propane cyclinder for crucible. Will
      have to look for the url for a japanese site on a fellow who built a
      lathe using lost foam for the casting.
      DuWayne

      http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/ShopTools/foundry/

      --- In hobbicast@y..., "daq_dude" <mass@t...> wrote:
      > I was wondering if any of you are currently using lost foam for
      your
      > castings? If so would you mind giving a description of your
      methods?
      > i.e. What type of foam/glue do you use, do you vibrate the sand to
      > pack it tighter? etc...
      >
      > Also, do any of you have links to pics of lst foam castings done
      by
      > hobbyists?
      >
      > Charles Brooks
    • Ray Brandes
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
        DuWayne,
        RealPlayer and Windows Media Player cannot show your video. What
        application do I need to view it?
        Thanks! Ray in FLA

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
          Windows media player 7 or greater get it from the
          www.microsoft.com and go to the download center.
          DuWayne

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
            DuWane,
            We have version 7.01 and it says the file is damaged or corrupt. We got
            this same message with another casting flick. We are dial up at 56K and
            it takes so long to download we don't feel like doing it very much,
            especially when we can't get them to work. I will try again because I
            really want to see it.
            -Ray

            duwayne wrote:

            > Windows media player 7 or greater get it from the
            > www.microsoft.com and go to the download center.
            > DuWayne

          • mdurruty
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
              Charles:

              I did my first lost foam experience a couple of days ago.

              I took a 1 pound (capacity) ice cream bowl, which looked just like an
              hemisphere with a 1/4 inch thickness, packed some green sand inside
              it, turn it over and pour dry loose sand all over it. No vibration.

              I melted and slightly overheat Aluminum and poured it right on the
              base of the bowl.

              Two things that are not always mentioned:

              a) The process looks like a submarine bomb: First the aluminum tries
              to dissolve the styrofoam... You see that the basin (the funnel
              shaped at the top of the sprue) is flooding and you think you might
              stop pouring... then, with a BIG burp, you see some kind of implosion
              and the molten metal is literally drunk by the mold.

              b) In the middle of all these burping and implosions, the fumes are
              nasty and they set on fire...

              When the chaos is off, you can see steam (or something like that)
              emerging from the loose sand.

              The results are GREAT. The loose sand, believe it or not, let the Al
              copy even the styrofoam cells!!

              I do my castings in the Laundry room (open air) of my apartment.

              I've got six phone calls after this first (and last) lost foam
              experience from my neighbors. The burned styro stinks!

              Hope this helps

              Marcelo
            • Ray Brandes
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                Marcelo,
                Good to hear of your results. I have been contemplating trying to cast
                foam coffee cups, meat trays etc, but haven't done it yet.
                How goes it in Argentina? We see news about your country's problems. I
                hope things get sorted out and start settling back to normal.
                Regards, Ray in FLA

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                  I just downloaded it from the site this morning and it played ok.
                  Did you down load first and play or attempt to play directly from
                  the ftp site ?

                  --- In hobbicast@y..., Ray Brandes <rvb@r...> wrote:
                  > DuWane,
                  > We have version 7.01 and it says the file is damaged or corrupt.
                  We got
                  > this same message with another casting flick. We are dial up at
                  56K and
                  > it takes so long to download we don't feel like doing it very much,
                  > especially when we can't get them to work. I will try again
                  because I
                  > really want to see it.
                  > -Ray
                  >
                  > duwayne wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Windows media player 7 or greater get it from the
                  > > www.microsoft.com and go to the download center.
                  > > DuWayne
                  > >

                  > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Dale Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                    DuWayne,
                    I found the link for the guy who built a mini-lathe in his Japanese
                    apartment.
                    http://homepage1.nifty.com/endo-/s_0.html
                    I think he joined the 7x10 group recently. He did not use "our" traditional
                    methods... and does not reccommend his... but this is a case of extreme
                    desire and ingenuity against impossible odds. Well worth a visit even if a
                    lot of it is unreadable. He has just enough English on the page to make it
                    "figureoutable."

                    OTOH: DuWayne is a bit ingenious himself and his video is worth a look. I
                    need to watch it every time I start to get carried away with one of my grand
                    schemes. The file is 1.7 mb so the best bet is to download the entire file
                    and play it from your hard disk. An unfortunate fact of the internet is one
                    bogged down hop can screw up the whole thing no matter how fast your local
                    connection might be

                    wdsmith

                    <snip> > > Here is a link to a short video and several screen shots of one

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                      --- In hobbicast@y..., "mdurruty" <mdurruty@k...> wrote:
                      > Charles:
                      >
                      > I did my first lost foam experience a couple of days ago.
                      >
                      > I took a 1 pound (capacity) ice cream bowl, which looked just like
                      an
                      > hemisphere with a 1/4 inch thickness, packed some green sand
                      inside
                      > it, turn it over and pour dry loose sand all over it. No
                      vibration.

                      > I melted and slightly overheat Aluminum and poured it right on the
                      > base of the bowl.
                      >
                      > Two things that are not always mentioned:
                      >
                      > a) The process looks like a submarine bomb: First the aluminum
                      tries
                      > to dissolve the styrofoam... You see that the basin (the funnel
                      > shaped at the top of the sprue) is flooding and you think you
                      might
                      > stop pouring... then, with a BIG burp, you see some kind of
                      implosion
                      > and the molten metal is literally drunk by the mold.

                      I found it works to use a large foam sprue and melt a hole in the
                      middle of it so the metal pours into it very quickly without the
                      hesitation. I have used foam pipe insulation for the spure, it has
                      a hole in the center and melts quicker than some of the types of
                      foam I have used for a pattern. I also put a split brick around the
                      top of the sprue and pour through that. It helps keep the sprue
                      open and sand from falling in and killing the pour.

                      > b) In the middle of all these burping and implosions, the fumes
                      are
                      > nasty and they set on fire...
                      >
                      > When the chaos is off, you can see steam (or something like that)
                      > emerging from the loose sand.
                      >
                      > The results are GREAT. The loose sand, believe it or not, let the
                      Al
                      > copy even the styrofoam cells!!

                      On large flat horizontal areas of the pattern I have had some
                      problems with dry sand collapsing in on the pattern. In these areas
                      I use slightly moistened sand.

                      > I do my castings in the Laundry room (open air) of my apartment.
                      >
                      > I've got six phone calls after this first (and last) lost foam
                      > experience from my neighbors. The burned styro stinks!

                      If you have a dryer vent you might be able to make an exhaust fan to
                      get the fumes outside.

                      > Hope this helps
                      >
                      > Marcelo
                    • MASS
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                        Thanks Duwayne, that looks pretty straight forward.

                        What kind of foam do you use?

                        Charles Brooks

                        http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                          Ha, so I should probably wait until the wife is out before pouring
                          molten aluminum on foam eh?

                          :)

                          Charles Brooks

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                            --- In hobbicast@y..., "MASS" <mass@t...> wrote:
                            > Thanks Duwayne, that looks pretty straight forward.
                            >
                            > What kind of foam do you use?
                            >
                            > Charles Brooks

                            That was 1/2" blue foam insulation from the home despot and the
                            sprue was from some foam pipe insulation. parts held together with
                            a very thin layer of white glue. If you want to fillet the corners
                            you can use a soft wax ( toilet bowl ring ).
                            DuWayne
                          • Ray Brandes
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                              I downloaded it and then tried to play it.
                              -Ray

                              duwayne wrote:

                              > I just downloaded it from the site this morning and it played ok.
                              > Did you down load first and play or attempt to play directly from
                              > the ftp site ?

                            • Kelland, Syd
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2002
                                Just took a few moments to view the lost foam video clip by 'DuWayne'.
                                Great video by the way. From the video, I think I can see one of the
                                problems I experienced Jan 1st when attempting my first melt. First melt
                                (aluminum)on the first day of the year 2002 was a significant date for me.
                                Anyways, it seems that the space between my foundry walls (refractory
                                cement) and crucible (steel oxygen cylinder) is way too big, somewhere
                                around three inches. I guess there is some kind of reflected heat from the
                                foundry walls back towards the crucible that I was not taking advantage of.
                                Two other problems I encountered are easily rectified for the next time.
                                Firstly, I was feeding raw material (cut up lawn chairs) into the melt which
                                effectively removed heat from the already melted aluminum and secondly, I
                                was rushed and didn't have enough time for a 'superheat' once all materials
                                finally. Encouraged by my first attempt and 'DuWayne's' video clip, I will
                                try again this weekend.
                                As a point of interest, the 20lb propane cylinder I was using was a found
                                one that I brought home because it was so heavy and obviously, nearly full
                                of gas. Only problem with it was that the shut off valve (cast zink
                                perhaps) was broken. To make a long story short, I used it as is and got a
                                bit excited with the furnace going full blast thinking to myself how
                                dangerous this was not being able to shut off the gas flow. Vice grip
                                pliers did not work on the stem of the shut off valve. Needless to say, I
                                managed to extinguish the flame with my blower and the gas flow shut off
                                once the hose was disconnected from the damaged tank. Emergency averted.
                                This tank will be reserved for 'out of gas' emergencies only.

                                Constructive comments are always welcomed.

                                > Here is a link to a short video and several screen shots of one of
                                > my first lost foam casting sessions. You will see that for small
                                > parts the furnace is about as small as can be made.
                                >
                                > http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/ShopTools/foundry/
                              • James (Jim) Buchanan
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2002
                                  Kelland:

                                  Extruded aluminum is not a very good source. It needs to be allowed with
                                  copper to make it work. About 5 ounces of copper to 4 pounds of aluminum.
                                  Copper electrical wire cut up to 1 inch lengths will work. Once the
                                  aluminum is melted stir in the copper. It will take about 5 seconds to
                                  dissolve.
                                  James (Jim) Buchanan
                                  Lexington, Kentucky USA
                                  Climax Class B Locomotive; Builder and Operator
                                  Email: jambuch@...
                                  Web Page: http://home.infi.net/~jambuch/index.html
                                • Kelland, Syd
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 7, 2002
                                    Thanks, I'll give that a try with my next melt.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 13, 2002
                                      >As a point of interest, the 20lb propane cylinder I was using was a found
                                      >one that I brought home because it was so heavy and obviously, nearly full
                                      >of gas. Only problem with it was that the shut off valve (cast zink
                                      >perhaps) was broken. To make a long story short, I used it as is and got a
                                      >bit excited with the furnace going full blast thinking to myself how
                                      >dangerous this was not being able to shut off the gas flow. Vice grip
                                      >pliers did not work on the stem of the shut off valve. Needless to say, I
                                      >managed to extinguish the flame with my blower and the gas flow shut off
                                      >once the hose was disconnected from the damaged tank. Emergency averted.
                                      >This tank will be reserved for 'out of gas' emergencies only.
                                      >
                                      >Constructive comments are always welcomed.

                                      Get rid of the rusted tank!!!! The gas in it is not worth the risk of an
                                      explosion or fire from a leak!!!!!!!

                                      Ron Thibault
                                      Warrenville, SC USA
                                      Builder Miinie #2