enough excitment for one morning

  • rgsparber@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      I was doing a series of pours this morning and enjoying the new thermocouple
      that I bought from Dale. The first 2 pours went well although the air flow
      was decreasing on the second melt. I ran a hook into the tweer and removed
      some ash which was the source of the problem but forgot to reduce the air
      flow on the 3rd pour. I'm fairly sure I burned the bottom of my steel
      crucible out because there was a gush of aluminum out the tweer and the most
      amazing crimson flame out the top. At first I thought I had added some
      magnesium since I was pigging bits of scrap. The furnace is still too hot to
      open - it just bursts back into flame when I do that. Fornunately, I had all
      the safety equipment suggested by both Gingery and the experts in this group.
      My full face shield and Kevlar gloves plus fireproof clothing, sheet metal
      spats, and leather apron worked fine. I had 2 inches of dry sand around the
      furnace which took the hottest aluminum flow. Some of the aluminum did reach
      the moist concrete but was cool enough by then not to explode. The relief
      vent on the tweer burned out and saved the blower (my blower pipe is tin
      walled aluminum which did melt too). I just took my fire bricks and closed
      the flue and tweer. Then I took a big breath and moved away. I suspect that
      the inside of the furnace may need repair and the crucible is toast, but
      things went rather well considering what could have happened. A few minutes
      after the flames stopped and the smoke cleared, I heard fire engines.
      Thankfully they were not coming to visit me!

      Lessons learned:

      1. always be aware of the air flow and furnace temperature
      2. inspect the crucible before each use (it may have been thin at the bottom)
      3. faithfully use the safety equipment and procedures
      4. have an empty bladder before starting any pour... ;-o

      Are there other lessons that I should have learned?

      Rick Sparber
      rgsparber@...
    • Dale Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        > I was doing a series of pours this morning and enjoying the new
        thermocouple
        > that I bought from Dale.

        ===Honest! I didn't know ...."magnesium since I was".... I thought the
        thermocouple was Inconel, not magnesium <snip>

        ==== Are you sure it is only the bladder than should be empty?

      • rgsparber@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
          In a message dated 12/01/2001 1:42:52 PM Central Standard Time,
          mediasmith@... writes:

          << ==== Are you sure it is only the bladder than should be empty? >>

          Dale,

          It wasn't THAT traumatic an experience!