Re: Cupola

  • mz1773@havilandtelco.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2000
      ---
      I forgot to mention, I am a little concerned about getting coke to
      operate a cupola. But after watching Steve Chastain's vidio and
      seeing how fast a cupola is I'm going to build one. I will worry
      about coke after I get one built. It's out there somewhere, and I
      will find it.

      Marvin

    • DEATHSTARR54@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2001
        LL,
        I used to melt aluminum in a cupola. The problem with trapped gas (porosity)
        was solved by melting pistons, their size and weight would pull them to the
        bottom before they started to melt. If the charge stayed on top and dripped
        into the bottom, yes it would be full of gas. As for contaminates, the small
        opening for tapping skims the metal as it is poured from the furnace. The
        gating system also cleans the metal before it reaches the casting cavity.
        Foundry 101
        Steve in Spokane