Easy way to make charcoal

  • katou@echo-on.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      1. get a metal pail, the kind used for roofing tar or what not
      2. make sure the top seals airtight still (visual inspection
      3. punch some small holes in the top of the pail
      4. load up with small, (1" square, 4-5" long) pieces of wood
      5. suspend pail over good fire
      6. small spurts of fire from the holes indicate it is working
      7. cook for a while (no, I don't know how long it is)
      8. remove your charcoal!

      I did not invent this, I found it on the web, but I have since tried
      to find it, and haven't been able to. So, I can't give credit, which
      I would like to, because it's a super neat idea.

      I haven't tried it either, propane, coke, coal are too plentiful to
      mess with charcoal. If you try it, let me know how it goes.
    • GuyW
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
        yes, that works....the "big" problem is you're wasting all the volatile
        woodgas, which is probably greater BTU value than the charcoal!

        -Guy-

        http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
        > It includes member project pages & links

      • Ray Brandes
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
          We did this when I was little. Coffee came in kind of flat cans with a metal peal strip. Dad would put
          wood shavings or sawdust in a can and punch a nail hole in the top. This would go into the coal
          furnace on top of the fire and after a few minutes you could light the jet that was coming out the
          top. I don't think we used the resulting charcoal.
          Ray in FL