Re: Blower

  • Marvin
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      Scott, One problem with a leaf blower like mine is they are very
      loud, sounds like a vacuum cleaner on steroids. Probably a home
      built blower with a larger impeller that would put out the same
      amount of air at a lower RPM would be quieter. I probably won't have
      my furnace done till next Summer. I'm also building a small hobby
      machine shop. But I think I will try the leaf blower and if it
      doesn't work then I will build a blower. To me the blower would be
      the hardest part of the whole furnace to build. My leaf blower is
      plastic also but I won't mount it that close to the furnace. On our
      forges we built them about 3' high on a stand and put the blowers
      below them away from the heat.

      Marvin

    • Geoff
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hi, what brand and size blower were you using? Thanks, just geoff <><
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In hobbicast@y..., "Marvin" <mz1773@h...> wrote:
          > I have had the charcoal blow out of my furnace using a vacuum
          > cleaner.

          Marvin. Just a note on leaf blowers. Do not throttle the intake,
          vent the exhaust! This works much better. Just a "T" and a butterfly
          in the vent line. Be careful! I (and my students) built a 4'diameter
          hovercraft/air cusahion vehicle. The designer claimed it would
          "usually support up to sixty poubds of cargo." I reinforced the bag
          joint at the deck line (the noted weak point) and it easily flew
          three boys weighing a total of 380 lbs. The power source was a
          "cheap" smallish electric leaf blower. It also flew two of the
          teachers aides as a team and the entire math dept. (one big dude)

          Some leaf blowers do not have close tolerances in their blowers and
          will produce less force than others.

          On my Gingry type charcoal furnace (30 gal garbage can) I used about
          2/3 the blast from a small canister vacuum cleaner. I takes a lot of
          horsepower and fuel to make up for poor insulation and oversized non
          adjustable ehaust vents. A fire brick that can be slid over part of
          the vent works fine.

          Bill
        • Joe and Betty Harralson
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
            Marvin,

            I use a vacuum cleaner blower for my furnaces, you can see a picture of the
            small one in the files area. It puts out a lot more air than I need and I
            made a small throttle plate which you can see in the picture. A rheostat
            would work as well.

            Joe H
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
              > --- In hobbicast@y..., "Marvin" <mz1773@h...> wrote:
              > > I have had the charcoal blow out of my furnace using a vacuum
              > > cleaner.

              Has anybody tried to use a blower from a motorcar for their furnace? I am
              talking about the blower used for ventilation/heating of the passenger
              space. Some of them can put out a nice stream of air. I am however not sure
              if it will be enough for our purposes. The advantage is that they are easy
              obtainable from junkyards and can also be powered from a car battery (for
              those living in areas with unreliable mains power supply). Let us know what
              you think.

              Deon Styger.
            • Dale Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                While I haven't actually used one, it should work very well and have the
                advantage of easy speed control. It will need to be controlled because it
                will provide more air than you want/need. I think many of these guys are
                overestimating the amount of air required. I know I did the first time
                around.

                wdsmith