RE: [hobbicast] RTV mold Process, Nice work Ray! + making living molds

  • Marcelo Durruty
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      First of all, I second all the posts which congratulates Ray's work on his
      new RTV mold process page. It's the most comprehensive guide I've ever seen
      on the Internet!

      About making living molds:

      If you want to mold a hand (maybe your own hand) this is a very
      straightforward technique:

      a) Get a PVC pipe wider than your hand (maybe a 8 inch one, the ones that
      Home Depot sells for sewage).
      b) Get a piece of cardboard and seal one of the ends of the PVC pipe with
      clay, plasticine of anything like that.
      c) Go to a dental supply store and buy Alginate. Is the thing dentists use
      to take a dental impression of your teeth. One pound costs something like $
      6. Alginate has three important properties: a) it sets in seconds. b) It
      sticks to almost anything. c) It's safe for your skin.
      d) Mix the whole pound with COLD water (warm water speeds the setting
      process A LOT), until you get a creamy consistency.
      e) Put the pipe in upright position, pour the alginate inside and dip your
      hand in the stuff.
      f) Allow just a couple of minutes to set. Start moving your fingers a
      little, a lift your hand with great care. You'll fill it like a latex
      glove.
      g) Once you are out, wait no time to pour a very water thinned plaster
      slurry inside the "glove". Try to rotate the thing so you make sure the
      thinned plaster is filling every single spot. Keep on adding plaster, until
      you completely fill it.
      h) Allow to set overnight.
      i) Cut the PVC pipe and with great care start "peeling" the alginate. There
      you've got the plaster hand! The process is so accurate that you should see
      even your fingerprints!
      j) Now you can coat it with RTV or whatever you want... the plaster hand can
      wait still and with no complain for hours! :)

      Notes:

      1) Alginate deforms as it dries. So once you demold it from your body,
      you'll have to pour the plaster INMEDIATELY.
      2) Instead of plaster you can pour wax! So you'll get a wax copy of your
      hand, ready to do the lost wax process!

      And finally, if someone is wondering about... yes, this alginate process
      also is perfectly suitable for doing copies of intimate parts of the body.
      Email me if you want some more details on this topic.

      Hope this helps

      Marcelo.