Re: auto-light for furnace

  • gene
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Exactly my point, all automatic gas burners should have a fail safe
      that WILL NOT ALLOW the main gas valve to come on until pilot has
      reached ignition temp. Even these sometimes fail and should be
      tested OFTEN. Propane can do a lot of damage when allowed to flow
      then a spark can set off quite a blast. This is why I'm in full
      control of the main gas valve and it can only come on when I turn it
      on. My pilot has a seperate valve and is low pressure around 7"-10"
      water colum.
      Actually lighting the burner is what caused me to desire foundry work
      in the first place. While in High School many yrs ago we had metal
      shop with a neat foundry, although a lot of us only learned how to
      make patterns and do green sand molding. Teacher was deathly afraid
      of lighting the burner and actually pouring the molten metal. I
      always wanted to be able to do castings at home and the process is so
      easy, and your correct>>>>>> BE CAREFUL.........

      Gene

      "Howard" <owly@t...> wrote:
      Gene:
      My pressure washer uses a huge steam cleaner boiler with a massive
      burner ... so big the 100 lb bottle I use will frost up after extended
      use..... I assembled the works myself. I utilize a manual fuel
      valve, and
      pilot light. Once someone shut off the bottle and didn't get the
      main fuel
      valve shut off. Next time I used it I opened the bottle and reached
      down
      to light the pilot.....BOOM... The main valve was still on and I
      didn't
      realize it..... knocked me right off my feet and removed lots of
      unnecessary
      body hair........ No real harm done.

      Moral of the story is BE CAREFUL

      H.W.
    • James Lane
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2000
        Does anyone know what is the best beginners book
        for casting small brass and bronze pieces, and also building
        a small furnace?

        James Lane
        http://www.AntiqueRestorers.com