Re: [hobbicast] Re: auto-light for furnace

  • Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2000
      Gene:
      My pressure washer uses a huge steam cleaner boiler with a massive
      burner ... so big the 100 lb bottle I use will frost up after extended
      use..... I assembled the works myself. I utilize a manual fuel valve, and
      pilot light. Once someone shut off the bottle and didn't get the main fuel
      valve shut off. Next time I used it I opened the bottle and reached down
      to light the pilot.....BOOM... The main valve was still on and I didn't
      realize it..... knocked me right off my feet and removed lots of unnecessary
      body hair........ No real harm done.

      Moral of the story is BE CAREFUL

      H.W.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        Exactly my point, all automatic gas burners should have a fail safe
        that WILL NOT ALLOW the main gas valve to come on until pilot has
        reached ignition temp. Even these sometimes fail and should be
        tested OFTEN. Propane can do a lot of damage when allowed to flow
        then a spark can set off quite a blast. This is why I'm in full
        control of the main gas valve and it can only come on when I turn it
        on. My pilot has a seperate valve and is low pressure around 7"-10"
        water colum.
        Actually lighting the burner is what caused me to desire foundry work
        in the first place. While in High School many yrs ago we had metal
        shop with a neat foundry, although a lot of us only learned how to
        make patterns and do green sand molding. Teacher was deathly afraid
        of lighting the burner and actually pouring the molten metal. I
        always wanted to be able to do castings at home and the process is so
        easy, and your correct>>>>>> BE CAREFUL.........

        Gene

        "Howard" <owly@t...> wrote:
        Gene:
        My pressure washer uses a huge steam cleaner boiler with a massive
        burner ... so big the 100 lb bottle I use will frost up after extended
        use..... I assembled the works myself. I utilize a manual fuel
        valve, and
        pilot light. Once someone shut off the bottle and didn't get the
        main fuel
        valve shut off. Next time I used it I opened the bottle and reached
        down
        to light the pilot.....BOOM... The main valve was still on and I
        didn't
        realize it..... knocked me right off my feet and removed lots of
        unnecessary
        body hair........ No real harm done.

        Moral of the story is BE CAREFUL

        H.W.
      • James Lane
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2000
          Does anyone know what is the best beginners book
          for casting small brass and bronze pieces, and also building
          a small furnace?

          James Lane
          http://www.AntiqueRestorers.com