letters

  • Terry Alexander
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
      Thanks for all the advise. I plan on getting a pyrometer some day, but
      until then, I'll starting taking good notes. Thanks again.

      I have anouther question. Where can I find small extruded letters to put on
      my patterns? I've look all over, I didn't think they'd be so hard to find.
      -Terry
      Cloverdale, CA

    • foundryman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
        Terry, for very small letters to identify your patterns get a plastic punch
        tape machine. For larger letters your stationary/office supply house will
        have plastic letters. Glue them to your pattern with school glue which is
        water soluble so as to retrieve your letters when done.

        Best, Jerry/foundryman1940/ in Missouri
        Custom Castings by Twaddell
        foundryman@...
        http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
      • Ray Brandes
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
          Kindt-Collins has pattern letters, but the smallest are half a buck each and after talking with them
          today on the phone I don't think they want any business from us little guys. They have no price list
          to go with their catalog. You have to call and ask about every little thing and they have a $50
          minimum order... I wanted a few things, but they didn't make it easy so I will find another way.
          http://www.hometown.aol.com/deathstarr54/index.html
          At the bottom of the above page Steve Hoerner has pattern letters for sale.
          You can also use a Dymo lablemaker if you don't care how they look. (date codes etc.)
          Regards, Ray

          Terry Alexander wrote:

          > Thanks for all the advise. I plan on getting a pyrometer some day, but
          > until then, I'll starting taking good notes. Thanks again.
          >
          > I have anouther question. Where can I find small extruded letters to put on
          > my patterns? I've look all over, I didn't think they'd be so hard to find.
          > -Terry
          > Cloverdale, CA

          > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here: http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
          > It includes member project pages & links

        • LLandstrom
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
            those plastic ones are probably the same ones used in
            restaurant signs. You can buy a whole alphabet for
            about $5 at any sign shop. You know, the little white
            letters whcih are pressed onto the black felt sign.
            seen everywhere. I've used them and they've got good
            draft.

            why not just cut them out on a scroll saw and draft
            them with plastic resin?

            Or, etch them with acid?

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/